WHS Icon Continually Red RRS feed

• Question

•  First let me say I am not as learned as I should be when it comes to IT and especially the server. Approximately one year ago I bought an HP Media Smart Home Server EX 470. I installed the software on two PCs, but was never able to establish remote access. As I recall, I read in the instructions that some ISP providers didn't support some of the ports required, eg. 80, 443, and 4125. My ISP provider (COX), didn't allow port 80 & 4125 to function on a home network account. I would have to pay extra for a business account. I didn't want to pay extra. Some of the forums at that time, mentioned renaming ports and other things I knew nothing about. In the mean time I installed Avast WHS Edition. For a couple of days I explored this thing called the WHS without really knowing what I was doing. Then the WHS icon in the task tray started giving off alerts of system hardware problems periodically. At that point I had enough. I uninstalled Avast and sent it back to the company. That is when the icon gave a constant red alert of over heating, system hardware problems, and no antivirus. I uninstalled WHS software, put the system off to the side, and bought Andrew Edney's book Windows Home Server User's Guide. I read the book several months ago, but can't say it was enlightening since my understanding of the basics of IT was lacking. I recently reinstalled WHS on the same laptop which has an upgrade HDD & OS from Vista Premium 32 to Ultimate 32 bit. The WHS icon, however, stays red with the same alerts. BTW the system health signal on the server is also constantly red. I have established remote access after forwarding the aforementioned ports in my router. The CPU temp never gets above 31C, while the systems temp shows 75C at startup then gets as high as 81C. This latter temperature isn't correct. I installed the addin "Disk Management". The active 500GB drive gets to 43C, and the other three 1 Terabyte HDDs are all 40C - 42C. I will continue to run the server while I learn more about it, and won't worry about overheating or system hardware problems. The alert about no antivirus is legitimate, but I as yet don't know how to contact the web using the server. Comments welcomed and appreciated.  

Monday, October 26, 2009 5:52 AM

All replies

• The temperature warning your server is showing is for your server, not your client computer. (You seem to be saying you think it's for the laptop.) Given that your drives are running between 40 and 43 degrees Celcius, I don't think your server's system temperature is really over 80° C. You could contact HP technical support about this issue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Thank you for responding Mr. Warren. I understand the temp warning alert is for the WHS system since the alert originates from the WHS icon ( which stays red ) in the task tray. When I go to system status on the WHS console it indicates my CPU is 31C and a system temp of 81C max. I installed the Addin "Disk Management" and it indicates all of the WHS disks are 40C to 43C, so I'm not worried about the temp alert being valid. I just wonder why the WHS icon stays red since I unistalled Avast AV. Two other alerts are system hardware problems, and no antivirus. The no antivirus alert is valid, but the system hardward problem alert as far as I can tell invalid. Thanks again. I will keep using WHS as it is configured, because It has performed normally as far as I know.  
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:04 PM