Vail as an add-in role for Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I currently run WHS in a Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V VM.  In it's current configuration, Hyper-V doesn't support 64bit guests (if there's a way to do this, let me know and it'll solve my problem).

This means that I can either run Vail, or Server 2K8 R2, providing either WHS or Vail, but not both, preventing migration of data from one platform to the other, and in turn, preventing useful testing of the platform.

As Hyper-V is not going to be provided for the Vail platform (even though Hyper-V R2 Server is free), and I can't run my Vail platform in my current Hyper-V implementation, what are the chances of Vail being provided as an add-in role for Server 2K8 R2?

Monday, May 10, 2010 2:19 PM

Answers

• I currently run WHS in a Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V VM.  In it's current configuration, Hyper-V doesn't support 64bit guests (if there's a way to do this, let me know and it'll solve my problem).

I run Vail (and  many other 64bit guests) in Hyper-V in Server 2008 R2 with out a problem.
    • Marked as answer by alfeersum Monday, May 10, 2010 5:49 PM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 2:30 PM
  • Alfeersum,

Hyper-V supports both x86 and x64 OS's within guest partitions.  You can find a list of supported guest operating systems at the below website. 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/hyperv-supported-guest-os.aspx

I personally have several Vail installs running on Hyper-V, along with client OS’s, without any problems.

Thank you for using the Beta!

Robert Dhaene [MSFT]

Post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

Monday, May 10, 2010 2:45 PM

All replies

I run Vail (and  many other 64bit guests) in Hyper-V in Server 2008 R2 with out a problem.
    • Marked as answer by alfeersum Monday, May 10, 2010 5:49 PM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 2:30 PM
  • Alfeersum,

Hyper-V supports both x86 and x64 OS's within guest partitions.  You can find a list of supported guest operating systems at the below website. 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/hyperv-supported-guest-os.aspx

I personally have several Vail installs running on Hyper-V, along with client OS’s, without any problems.

Thank you for using the Beta!

Robert Dhaene [MSFT]

Post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

Monday, May 10, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Thanks all - issues with previous installs (7 x64, RHEL x64) caused me to believe that Vail wouldn't install.  Going on now...!

Can do some proper testing now.

Monday, May 10, 2010 5:51 PM