I like the idea of WHS but hardware options seem fairly limited what preinstalled options are on the market from mainstream vendors RRS feed

• Question

• I want an option that provides 4 bays that you can load a couple of 1Tb drives to begin with and then add some more later
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 8:47 PM

Answers

• well in the end I went for a HP mediasmart windows home server!!!
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:37 PM

All replies

• I want an option that provides 4 bays that you can load a couple of 1Tb drives to begin with and then add some more later

HP and Acer both make WHS models that match that description.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:00 PM
  • That sort of my point. Acer aren't exactly great; HP are the only ones I've found but their device didn't look anything more than average from a spec perspective.

You just dont expect microsoft software to only have two options.... it sort of makes you think something isnt right with the software after a couple of years you only have one major vendor and there microsoft internal partner so i guess they are forced to do something....

what am i missing?
    Monday, November 9, 2009 12:48 AM
  • Lenovo also has a Windows Home Server product. There are probably others in the pipeline, as well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 9, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Hardware options are not limited you can use pretty much any CPU and MOBO as long as you have all the MOBO drivers, people on here are using anything from P4s to Socket 775 setups.
    If you have a very specific requirement then you are looking at a home build (which in my opinion is better and cheaper)

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:13 PM
  • As I've said I want to buy something get a guarantee etc, but choice is really limited. 

The fact that nothing has come sort of proves my point. Their must be issues so I guess unfortunately I will have to look at other solutions.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 5:31 PM
  • What's currently available for prebuilts appear to be entry level packages with the idea they must stay below a certain price point to sell.  Blame the marketing geniuses behind these companies for what's available.  If you're not willing to take a risk and build your own hardware with the features you want, then, other solutions are your best option.  However, you will be hard pressed to find another option with features WHS software has for ease of use, backup of clients, handling of Windows Media Center files, etc.  
    Monday, November 30, 2009 12:19 AM
  • well in the end I went for a HP mediasmart windows home server!!!
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:37 PM