Awkward reboot after update RRS feed

• Question

• After WHS installed this morning's updates, it asked to reboot.  I let it.  It almost immediately put up a login screen. "Wow, that was fast" I thought.  I began to login; typed the first few characters of my admin password, two dots appeared and then it started bonging the familiar error sound.  It put up a "lost connection" window with a "retry" button -- which of course didn't work until WHS had rebooted.

This is likely to confuse the daylights out of the uninitiated.

Couldn't WHS tell the console that it's rebooting before it severs the connection and the console goes into connection recovery mode?

Friday, June 15, 2007 11:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• Microsoft should probably explain that process better, but what's happening is that Remote Desktop (remember, the console is remoted off of WHS with RDP to client PCs, not executed locally) has lost it's connection and is trying to reconnect. WHS doesn't have any control over that process.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 12:10 PM
  • Agreed that it's an RDP issue rather than WHS, but couldn't WHS get RDP to put up a box saying "WHS is going down for reboot, please login again when reboot has finished?"
    Friday, June 15, 2007 1:05 PM
  • Since I don't see one (Why? Lots of people have complained about it...) on Connect, I've submitted a suggestion.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 5:43 PM
  •  

This happens to me on windows server 2003 enterprise only does this when im in a remote desktop session but this is a new install and the only thing that has been installed is updates so im thinking its an update from microsoft causing this because it has only started to do this recently

thanks

Sunday, December 16, 2007 12:44 AM