What can be used for Anti Virus and Defragmentation on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

•  What can be used for Anti Virus and Defragmentation on WHS? I'm not sure what is safe to use because of DE. I'm looking for something preferably free or low cost. Thanks
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:04 AM

All replies

• jshoemaker21 said:

What can be used for Anti Virus and Defragmentation on WHS? I'm not sure what is safe to use because of DE. I'm looking for something preferably free or low cost. Thanks

Hello Js

1-Defragamation software you can use a Smart Defrag. you can download in here   
    Compare in here: http://www.iobit.com/Images/isdcompare.gif
    5 star software works outstanding on my server.

Testimonials:

"Novel freeware to true defragmentation!"

2- For Antivrus you can use Clamwin or and Avast or F secure.
    All real good I prefer Avast or Clamwin.

Cya and good lucky.

BOPE.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:36 AM
  • jshoemaker21 said:

What can be used for Anti Virus and Defragmentation on WHS? I'm not sure what is safe to use because of DE. I'm looking for something preferably free or low cost. Thanks

Hi,
    regarding to defragmentation you will usually find two sides: One side swears on defragmentation, the other side says, that there is no performance benefit  (I belong to the second.) In result any defragentation tool on top will need system resources like memory and therefore slow down the server. The real bottleneck is usually the network and not the disk for a server system.
    So instead of sinking money into a defragmentation tool with questionable value for the performance an investment into the server memory (at least on those 512 MB boxes) makes more sense.

In relation to  Antivirus software there are a few versions, which are specially designed for run with Windows Home Server - and you should stick with those. Some have benefits - like Avast Home Server edition, which includes also licenses for the attached PCs and adds some centralized management.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:44 AM
  • I am with Olaf on the defragmentation issue. There are tools that are specifically written to work correctly with Windows Home Server, if the defrag utility vendors' statistics are more compelling for you than for me. Two that I know are available are Diskeeper and Raxco Perfectdisk.

For antivirus, if you will do a search for the term "antivirus" you will find a wealth of information. There are several products available specifically for WHS now, including avast! (which I use and recommend personally) F-Secure, and McAfee (possibly only available for the HP MediaSmart Server; check their web site).

In either case, you should not use a product that hasn't been designed for use with Windows Home Server. The vendors I named above all have specifically targetted products. WHS does, umm, novel things with the file system, and if e.g. those things look to an AV product like virus-like activity (something which certainly happens with some of the AV products out there), you could wind up with your AV product quarantining a lot of your files, or perhaps corrupting your backup database.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Antivirus:
      F-Secure Home Server Security 2009
        http://www.f-secure.com/products/fshss2009.html

AVAST Windows Home Server Edition
        http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-windows-home-server-edition.html

Defrag:
      Raxco Perfect Disk for Windows Home Server
        http://www.raxco.com/home_office/home_perfectdisk_windows.cfm

Franz
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Thanks for the input. On a PC and Windows 2003 Server defragmentation is a must on off hours. I see the result all the time. If WHS is different and does not get fragmented I would like to see by having a program available. I will look into the ones you listed. Thank you.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Did you look into this? I am curious as to what conclusion you came regarding defragging the WHS...

Thanks!
    Razvan Neagu
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 11:11 PM