none
monitoring network folders and tracking a "cut & paste" action RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

I have two questions that are somewhat related,

first is there a way I could monitor a specific network folder meaning, if someone adds or removes a file

then an EMAIL or a pop-up or some sort of notice would show for certain pre-defined users?

second question is , I would like to be able to track where a certain file has been cut from,

for example if one user cuts a file out of a folder and pastes it at another folder than a different user would

be able to check where was the origin so once the work on the said file is over it would be easy to return it to the original source folder.

if possible i would like to achieve all of this with no 3rd party tools, only with my current system.

we have a SharePoint project in development which would most likely solve all of this, but it is still far from over,

and it would be good if I could do these things in the mean time

I'm using a windows server 2010 and a mix of windows 7 and windows xp computers.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:18 AM

Answers

• The way that I would tackle the problem in your first question would be to write a quick-and-dirty program in .NET using the FileSystemWatcher class. It would be trivial for such a program to send en email or display a popup when a file was added or removed from the folder.

The same procedure could apply to the secod question on the condition that the files were cut from a single file system where you could point the FileSystemWatcher to the root of such file system. However, the program would no longer be quick-and-dirty if you needed to store and keep track of the various file moves in order to later return them. This would requiere a reasonably well thought out project.

If you need any help in writing such pieces of sotware, this Training and Certification forum would not be the adequate place to enquire about it. I would suggest one of the development forums in MSDN.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You have asked your question in the training and certification forum, please aks your question on the Technet forums for Windows 7/Server

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

MCSE:Server Infrastructure, MCSE:Desktop Infrastructure, MCSA Server 2012, Citrix CCIA & CCEE, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 Twitter: @dnyvandam http://www.dannyvandam.net

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:09 AM
  • The way that I would tackle the problem in your first question would be to write a quick-and-dirty program in .NET using the FileSystemWatcher class. It would be trivial for such a program to send en email or display a popup when a file was added or removed from the folder.

The same procedure could apply to the secod question on the condition that the files were cut from a single file system where you could point the FileSystemWatcher to the root of such file system. However, the program would no longer be quick-and-dirty if you needed to store and keep track of the various file moves in order to later return them. This would requiere a reasonably well thought out project.

If you need any help in writing such pieces of sotware, this Training and Certification forum would not be the adequate place to enquire about it. I would suggest one of the development forums in MSDN.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:13 AM