I officially hate WGA Validation RRS feed

• Question

• Cliffs:  WGA sucks and is busted on my work computer

Early last week I went to download some daylight saving time patches and everything went fine.  Then on Friday I discovered that MS had linked to the wrong patch for XP so I went back to the site and found they had fixed the link.  When I tried to download the patch IE7 crashed when it got to the validation step.  But it was near the end of the day so I said screw it and decided I would try again today.

Well, today when I boot my workstation I'm greeted with the lovely "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting" message .  Now, this is an HP workstation that I've had at work for over a year and it has the same copy of XP on it that was on there when it was purchased.  Also, I've validated dozens of times this year when dowloading updates.

Anyway, this morning I have attempted to validate several times and each time IE7 just crashes (all IE7 windows close).  So then I thought that maybe if I go to the Windows Update site and install a patch of some sort that Windows Update would reinstall the validation tool for me again.  No go.  I got to point where it scans for updates, but it just sat there "scanning" for 20 minutes and never went beyond that point.  This PC is very up-to-date (patch-wise) and reasonably fast so it shouldn't have taken that long to find any patches.  It was just stuck/broken. 

And don't bother suggesting the MGA Diag tool.  I read a few posts before posting and saw everyone suggesting that tool.  I downloaded it and tried to run it, but it too just crashes when it attempts to start .

So what the hell?  How can I re-validated my XP install (for the 100th time!) if the the validation tool crashes IE each and every time???  Is there an WGA Validation Tool installion package I can download and try?

Thanks!

Monday, March 5, 2007 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hello Thraxen,

We would like you to collect some additional information to help us diagnose the issue.

1) Run the MGA Diag tool.
    2) When it crashes, the Error Reporting Service will come up.
    3) Click the button that Sends the Crash Information to Microsoft.
    4) Immediately afterward, go to the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer>Application
    5) Double click the most recent event (this should be the MGA Diag tool crash error event)
    6) In the Description area, copy the number next to "Fault bucket" and post it in this thread.

Next, go to https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860 and create a Support Incident.. Afterward, post the Support Incident Number here in this thread. We will then contact you directly with additional steps or infomation.

Also, can you clarify if the MGA Diag tool crashes when you launch it or does it open, but crash when you click "Continue"?

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.
    ------------------------------------------

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 12:34 AM