mesh inside a vm that was copied between 2 computers does not let me make each a unque mesh device? RRS feed

• General discussion

• so i have a vm on my pc. i copied it to my laptop.
    changed the computer name on it.
    installed mesh and it keeps hooking up to mesh with the old computer settings which is already online under the pc vm.

shouldn't the mesh accept the new computer and add it as a seperate one using the name i tell it?

I know the issue is i copied the vm and it must be using something else to mark it as the same other than the name i give it but i already ran newsid on it to change the key of the system znd that didnt make it work.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:47 AM

All replies

• On the VM you copied, uninstall Live Mesh then reinstall by adding the device to the ring.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:19 PM
  • wish that worked but it didn't.
    tried several times.
    even made sure live mesh folder from app settings was gone.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:58 PM
  • Since your copied VM is essentially a clone of the original, there is some sort of identifier that Mesh is using to identify it. Have you changed the MAC address, for example? I don't know what is used for the hash that identifies the PC, unfortunately.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:48 PM
  • i thought it might have been the SID like it is for a domain so i changed that but no go.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:50 PM
  • Perhaps after removing Live Mesh from the cloned VM you can search the registry for all keys referencing Live Mesh and delete them.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 11:22 PM