How should I configure my drives? RRS feed

• Question

• I've just set up a WHS box at home and have put two IDE drives in it like so:
    - 120GB (primary)
    - 40GB (slave)

Is this the best order to have them in?  I've added both drives to the pool so they are seen as logical SYS and DATA drives.  Does it matter what order they are in?

Also, if I want to replace the 40GB drive with something like a 500GB drive, do I just remove it from the pool, swap it out and add the new one to the pool?
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 12:38 AM

All replies

• I've just set up a WHS box at home and have put two IDE drives in it like so:
    - 120GB (primary)
    - 40GB (slave)

Is this the best order to have them in?

Considering you can't install WHS on a drive less than 80 GB, yes.  :)

I've added both drives to the pool so they are seen as logical SYS and DATA drives.  Does it matter what order they are in?

It matters only because you can't install on a 40 GB drive.  Otherwise, it makes no difference.

Also, if I want to replace the 40GB drive with something like a 500GB drive, do I just remove it from the pool, swap it out and add the new one to the pool?
    Providing you have enough free space after removing the 40 GB drive, yes.  If not, add the new drive to the storage pool first, then remove the old one.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 1:36 AM