Windows Media Encoder RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone used WHS to host content created using Media Encoder and the Windows Media Services in Windows Server 2003 and served it up from a web site on the WHS? Possibly even attached a web cam to create real time video streaming? With very little effort, it would seem to me that you could have a cheap home security system.

Any comments or thoughts?

Peter

Friday, April 13, 2007 9:00 AM

Answers

•  Peter Hunt wrote:

Has anyone used WHS to host content created using Media Encoder and the Windows Media Services in Windows Server 2003 and served it up from a web site on the WHS? Possibly even attached a web cam to create real time video streaming? With very little effort, it would seem to me that you could have a cheap home security system.

Peter

No problem Peter, You got my curiosity going as I was already using Windows Media Server for streaming to the outside world. So, I downloaded Media Encoder and tried it out. With a cheap USB Webcam (the Webcamdoes not have to be on the server) I now have a view of my front yard and driveway available from the Internet. Install WMS from add remove programs and start the sample play list (right click start like in IIS) then install Microsoft Encoder on the server or the pc that has the Web Cam.

Here is a URL to the directions for setting up the Encoder...

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=225049

You can save the stream to file for later review or you can stream video only. Do not save files to the data drive its advisable to add a drive for misc data like extra websites, Sharepoint etc. just add the drive with disk management and do not add it to the WHS storage pool

Have Fun!

Rex

Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:36 PM

All replies

• I don't know why you wouldn't be able to.  I've wanted to try it, but haven't had a chance, yet.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 12:00 PM
  •  Peter Hunt wrote:

Has anyone used WHS to host content created using Media Encoder and the Windows Media Services in Windows Server 2003 and served it up from a web site on the WHS? Possibly even attached a web cam to create real time video streaming? With very little effort, it would seem to me that you could have a cheap home security system.

Peter

No problem Peter, You got my curiosity going as I was already using Windows Media Server for streaming to the outside world. So, I downloaded Media Encoder and tried it out. With a cheap USB Webcam (the Webcamdoes not have to be on the server) I now have a view of my front yard and driveway available from the Internet. Install WMS from add remove programs and start the sample play list (right click start like in IIS) then install Microsoft Encoder on the server or the pc that has the Web Cam.

Here is a URL to the directions for setting up the Encoder...

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=225049

You can save the stream to file for later review or you can stream video only. Do not save files to the data drive its advisable to add a drive for misc data like extra websites, Sharepoint etc. just add the drive with disk management and do not add it to the WHS storage pool

Have Fun!

Rex

Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Excellent! Now I'm tempted to try this out! Rex - thanks for posting.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 11:34 PM
  • Hi Rex,

I've done this before under Win2K3 as an experiment and had it working, but due to a house move and time, have not been able to recreate the scenario under WHS.

Good to see that it's possible. Hook it up to your door bell and you're sorted :-)

Thanks for your input,

peter

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:48 AM