AudioCodes MediaPack vs. Mediant? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're running a small test group and it's time to move on to testing the telephony features of OCS.

We have 8 analog phone lines at our location and would like to tie 2 or 3 of them into OCS through a gateway/mediation server setup.  If everything goes well, we would be tying all 8 into OCS.  We have an old analog PBX currently that we have no interest in integrating with.

Any recommendations/experience with the AudioCodes MP-118 or Mediant 1000 products?  We'd greatly prefer the MP-118 product as it is significantly less costly.

Best,

Kevin McCormick

kevin@lassuswherley.com

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 4:32 PM

Answers

• It depends!

The Mediant is an Enterprise product at an enterprise price - as you have discovered. The 11X series is more soho, but with some restrictions.

An 8-port FXS 118 would allow you to link your 8 analog phones together and connect to your OCS Server for VOIP.

Your gateway needs an FXO port if you wish to connect direct to the PSTN - and the 118 doesn't quite come with 8FXS+1FXO. So you would need to lose at least one analog phone to gain the FXO port (and I can't recall the rations of ports that the 118 ships in - not sure if it does 7FXS/1FXO.

I would talk to an Audiocodes reseller - the one I'm working with here in Holland (ACTIS) is really on the ball and very helpful - loads of information, and great support. But I digress.

I hope this answers the question.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 5:14 PM

All replies

• It depends!

The Mediant is an Enterprise product at an enterprise price - as you have discovered. The 11X series is more soho, but with some restrictions.

An 8-port FXS 118 would allow you to link your 8 analog phones together and connect to your OCS Server for VOIP.

Your gateway needs an FXO port if you wish to connect direct to the PSTN - and the 118 doesn't quite come with 8FXS+1FXO. So you would need to lose at least one analog phone to gain the FXO port (and I can't recall the rations of ports that the 118 ships in - not sure if it does 7FXS/1FXO.

I would talk to an Audiocodes reseller - the one I'm working with here in Holland (ACTIS) is really on the ball and very helpful - loads of information, and great support. But I digress.

I hope this answers the question.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 5:14 PM
  • Thanks - we're actually going with the 8-port FXO unit to connect to our 8 outside lines.  For endpoints, we'll be using Communicator clients exclusively.  I'm not sure we'll need any FXS ports at this point.

:-)

Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:32 PM