File transfer to WHS shares incredibly Slow,Brand new pc RRS feed

• Question

• I have built a new PC dedicated to WHS.

Intel Dual Core 2.6
    2GB Ram
    100/10Mbit
    1TB WD Green

I installed the trial WHS setup everything and was perfect.

However when I tried to transfer around 160MB of data to the shared folder the transfer rate was about 25-50Kbps ( no kidding estimated more than 2 hours) !!!
    I tried to download directly from the internet to WHS and it was perfect with no problems.

My computer is i7-920 with Win7 RC.

Please what can be wrong and what should I check ??!! 
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:05 PM

Answers

• I have tested transfering the same files through another XP pc, wirelessly and wired, it took only few seconds!!

btw, my i7 is wired.

I'm waiting for my new HDD to install Win7 RTM. However I bought the server mainly to backup my PC before installing the new win 7 ... What can I do with handreds of GB of data !!!

Back it up to an external drive.

I have around 500 GB to be backed up, with this rate it will require me around 3000 hours, 125 days, or around 4 monthes !!!

There should be a solution, IF it was because of RC !!
    If it works for another client, then the problem is either A) your hardware on that client (including the drivers for it) or B) the OS code itself.  You could try looking for updated drivers.  And, by the way, if it is due to the fact that it's RC, the solution is to get RTM.  After all, RC code is known to have bugs and you should already have all of that data backed up anyway.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, November 15, 2009 4:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by fhd4 Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:26 PM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 4:24 PM
  • If it works for another client, then the problem is either A) your hardware on that client (including the drivers for it) or B) the OS code itself.  You could try looking for updated drivers.  And, by the way, if it is due to the fact that it's RC, the solution is to get RTM.  After all, RC code is known to have bugs and you should already have all of that data backed up anyway.

kariya21,

I appreciated, problem is solved now, transfer is more than 10Mbps, 500MB downloaded in less than 30sec.

the problem was in the "updated" LAN driver. The driver was installed via Win7. I downloaded the driver from my mobo manufacturer but Win 7 refused to install it even manually claiming that the driver is not the latest and the one with win 7 is the latest. But finally I succeeded to install the original driver, and now it is working like charm.

• Marked as answer by fhd4 Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:27 PM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:14 PM

All replies

• I have built a new PC dedicated to WHS.

Intel Dual Core 2.6
    2GB Ram
    100/10Mbit
    1TB WD Green

I installed the trial WHS setup everything and was perfect.

However when I tried to transfer around 160MB of data to the shared folder the transfer rate was about 25-50Kbps ( no kidding estimated more than 2 hours) !!!
    I tried to download directly from the internet to WHS and it was perfect with no problems.

My computer is i7-920 with Win7 RC.

Please what can be wrong and what should I check ??!! 
    For starters, it could be 7 RC (after all, it's not RTM code).  Also, what are the speeds if you try copying data from a different client?
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:22 PM
  • For starters, it could be 7 RC (after all, it's not RTM code).  Also, what are the speeds if you try copying data from a different client?

I have tested transfering the same files through another XP pc, wirelessly and wired, it took only few seconds!!

btw, my i7 is wired.

I'm waiting for my new HDD to install Win7 RTM. However I bought the server mainly to backup my PC before installing the new win 7 ... What can I do with handreds of GB of data !!!

I have around 500 GB to be backed up, with this rate it will require me around 3000 hours, 125 days, or around 4 monthes !!!

Sunday, November 15, 2009 4:41 AM
  • I have tested transfering the same files through another XP pc, wirelessly and wired, it took only few seconds!!

btw, my i7 is wired.

Back it up to an external drive.

If it works for another client, then the problem is either A) your hardware on that client (including the drivers for it) or B) the OS code itself.  You could try looking for updated drivers.  And, by the way, if it is due to the fact that it's RC, the solution is to get RTM.  After all, RC code is known to have bugs and you should already have all of that data backed up anyway.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, November 15, 2009 4:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by fhd4 Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:26 PM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 4:24 PM
  • If it works for another client, then the problem is either A) your hardware on that client (including the drivers for it) or B) the OS code itself.  You could try looking for updated drivers.  And, by the way, if it is due to the fact that it's RC, the solution is to get RTM.  After all, RC code is known to have bugs and you should already have all of that data backed up anyway.

kariya21,

I appreciated, problem is solved now, transfer is more than 10Mbps, 500MB downloaded in less than 30sec.

the problem was in the "updated" LAN driver. The driver was installed via Win7. I downloaded the driver from my mobo manufacturer but Win 7 refused to install it even manually claiming that the driver is not the latest and the one with win 7 is the latest. But finally I succeeded to install the original driver, and now it is working like charm.

• Marked as answer by fhd4 Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:27 PM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:14 PM