'Vista Ultimate' support ends at April 2012, possibilty to downgrade to 'Business version'. RRS feed

• Question

• L.S. Is it possible to downgrade a Vista 'Ultimate Edition' to Vista 'Business Edition'? After having bought 'Vista Ultimate' (and having received very little of the promised "extra's" for Ultimate-users), I now read that the mainstream support ends at April 2012. Vista Ultimate, the most expensive version is treated as the cheap 'Home' version. For both mainstream support ends at 2012. Only 'Business' and 'Enterprise' versions will have mainstream support until 2017. So, can I downgrade from 'Ultimate' to 'Business'? (Or are all users who have bought the most expensive Vista OS treated the worst? That would actually mean that Microsoft treats some of their customers really, really bad). Regards.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 11:55 AM

Answers

• "Baserk" wrote in message news:24c6f96a-b290-4012-81c2-f4b42c503fd1...
    L.S. Is it possible to downgrade a Vista 'Ultimate Edition' to Vista 'Business Edition'? After having bought 'Vista Ultimate' (and having received very little of the promised "extra's" for Ultimate-users), I now read that the mainstream support ends at April 2012. Vista Ultimate, the most expensive version is treated as the cheap 'Home' version. For both mainstream support ends at 2012. Only 'Business' and 'Enterprise' versions will have mainstream support until 2017. So, can I downgrade from 'Ultimate' to 'Business'? (Or are all users who have bought the most expensive Vista OS treated the worst? That would actually mean that Microsoft treats some of their customers really, really bad). Regards.

No - only by purchasing a new license and then clean-installing it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the end of support - it will only really effect the things peculiar to Home and/or Ultimate -  I suspect that anything that is part of Business/Enterprise that gets updated will also be updated for Ultimate.

Of course, you could always upgrade to Win7 Pro - which would extend the life to the maximum available currently - or Win 8 Pro when it comes out (next autumn?).

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:01 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 12:43 PM