Backup RRS feed

• Question

• How do I setup the backup to be stored on my 1. USB external drive 2. backup files on the external and 3. backup the files on my c: drive?  When I initally set up the backup procedure, I didn't see anywhere were I could choose the external drive.

TJMACC
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:51 PM

Answers

• You can reset the backup plan to use the external drive as the destination for the backups if you previously configured backup to use CD/DVD as the destination, but you will not be able to backup any files *from* an external drive using OneCare backup. OneCare backup will only see files on the internal drives as valid sources for backup.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:52 AM

All replies

• Try resetting your backup plan. How to reset a backup plan - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/5f18a60d-add4-4ff2-87cf-021db7e81917
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 9:32 PM
  • You can reset the backup plan to use the external drive as the destination for the backups if you previously configured backup to use CD/DVD as the destination, but you will not be able to backup any files *from* an external drive using OneCare backup. OneCare backup will only see files on the internal drives as valid sources for backup.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:52 AM
  • Thanks Stephen,
    I'm not sure that I understand your responce.  I did configured the backup to use my DVD as the destination.  Is OneCare backing up only the New and changed files from the 2nd to the next 10 backups?  If this is true, can the back up configuration be changed to back up all of the files every time I do a back up using the DVD destination?  I really don't want to use my external drive because of the amount of space that will be used and I'm also trying not to collect a ton of DVD's for restore purposes.

TJMacc
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:21 PM
  • Yes. If you wish to continue using DVD as you backup destination, you can do so. Each backup will only back up new and changed files, adding them to the backup set. You will be prompted for new DVDs as needed. The backup set will consist of all of the DVDs since you began a new/full backup.
    If you reset the backup plan or reinstall OneCare (or reset the database due to a problem) you will be starting a new/full backup and the old set will no longer be added to.
    When you configure the *what* part of the backup plan, you pick what file types to backup. The source of these file types will only be internal drives and not your External drive.
    Hope that makes sense...
    -steve
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Thank you for your responce.  You were very helpful

TJMacc
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:15 PM
  • Hi Steve,
    I just want to tell you about my experience with Microsoft tech support (on phone over an hour) the other day.  The first level person from tech support told me that every backup is a full backup reguardless if it was the first or second backup.  I asked to be sent to level 2 support because what I heard was the opposite of what I read about OneCare and level 2.  The level 2 person told me that I can back up to my external drive and every time I back up from the 2nd time on, all the changed files update the same files from the previous backup and the new files are added at the end of the previous backup.  Therfore, I will have one complete backup file.  I was told also that the only way I can have a full backup using my DVD drive, I would have to uninstall and reinstall OneCare.  The 2 level responce was the complete opposite of the 1st level responce.  I want to thank you and anyone elso who responded to my problem. Its nice to know there is someplace one can go to get help with problems.

Thanks again,

TJMacc 
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 2:06 PM
  • You are very welcome, TJMacc. Sorry that the 1st level tech was unfortunately misinformed and provided incorrect information, but I'm glad that you persisted and got through to an escalation engineer. I hope that that engineer provided follow-up to the 1st level tech...
    -steve
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:55 PM