VS2008 OLEDB Save Passwords RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am using VS2008 to import data from several SQL DB's into sharepoint. As a part of this I have several OLE DB connections with a username & password.

The problem I am getting is VS2008 is not saving the OLE DB credentials. So every time I login I have to renter the passwords and I am worried when I deploy the packages it won't save the passwords. From what I have read you can setup package configuration and create an XML file to store the username & password.

I have attempted to do this but I don't know where to enter the password in the XML file. Can anyone assist and point out where to enter the password in the XML below. As the package configuration wizard doesn't let me enter the password, it is greyed out.

<?xml version="1.0"?><DTSConfiguration><DTSConfigurationHeading><DTSConfigurationFileInfo GeneratedBy="xxxx\myuser" GeneratedFromPackageName="ABCD" GeneratedFromPackageID="{76DB686E-5A98-4D93-A7C8-D52201180E8A}" GeneratedDate="27/02/2015 4:18:03 PM"/></DTSConfigurationHeading><Configuration ConfiguredType="Property" Path="\Package.Connections[SQLINSTANCE\ SQLINSTANCE.MYDATABASE.readonly].Properties[Password]" ValueType="String"><ConfiguredValue></ConfiguredValue></Configuration></DTSConfiguration>

Or perhaps their is another solution to saving passwords?

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks

• Moved by Barry Wang Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:37 AM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 12:27 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

Ignore my question I have found a solution.

By using protection level encrypt with password, then entering a password for the whole solution. I can then enter and save every password in the properties of the OLE DB connections. Then it doesn't matter which domain account opens the solution as long as they know the password for the solution VS opens it with the saved credentials.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:36 AM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 1:01 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

Ignore my question I have found a solution.

By using protection level encrypt with password, then entering a password for the whole solution. I can then enter and save every password in the properties of the OLE DB connections. Then it doesn't matter which domain account opens the solution as long as they know the password for the solution VS opens it with the saved credentials.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:36 AM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 1:01 AM
  • @Cameronh,

Thanks for sharing your result. By the way, this is not the right forum for your issue. I should move it offtopic.

Best regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:37 AM