none
Regarding bufferoverflowu.lib library RRS feed

• Question

• There is a scenario for us to use the bufferoverflowu.lib library in Qt framework which is a mingw compiler based. So we are getting this library from visual studio folder and then using that.

I would like to understand whether can i use this library as a seperate entity in other frameworks. If yes then will it be supported in the future operating systems also?

Please provide your insights.

Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:54 PM

All replies

• Hi M R Reddy,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

It seems your issue is about the Qt and MinGW development which are the third party technology, since our forum is to discuss the VS IDE, please redirect to this appropriate forum: https://forum.qt.io/ to seek for a better support, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, April 13, 2018 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

My questions is related to VStudio only. i want to use bufferoverflowu.lib file which is provided by microsoft. So i want to understand whether can i use this library as a seperate entity in other frameworks. If yes then will it be supported in the future operating systems also?

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 4:42 AM
  • Hi M R Reddy,

Thank you for your update.

As my understanding, if you want to use the bufferoverflowu.lib in VS and please redirect to this appropriate forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vcgeneral for a better support, for Qt framework which provided by other company, it is better to its official support forum, then you can get a more professional support.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 7:37 AM
  • This is not exactly a Visual Studio problem, this is a Windows SDK problem. The bufferoverflow.lib and bufferoverflowu.lib are part of the Windows SDK. You may have gotten confused by the fact that older versions of Visual Studio included the Windows SDK.

Technically you should be allowed to do this because you can get this library on your system just by installing the Windows SDK, which is available for free.

The problem is if you are using this library when you are using the mingw version of QT. It is completely unsupported to mix objects from different compilers. It may work, it may not work, it isn't guaranteed to keep working as the GCC compiler itself keeps progressing and newer versions of this library are released in the Windows SDK.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 4:00 PM