What to do with an existing networkdisc when installing WHS ? RRS feed

• Question

• Im on the way to install WHS at home.
    At the existing home network i have installed a networkdrive and use it for my photos and musik files.

Since the WHS has to use the network connection at the router what shall i do with my networkdrive. Any one how can advise me?
    Since its a nice Western Digitaldrive i do not whant to scrap it. can i use it as a drive to WHS?

thanks and regards
    c-jm
    CJM
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:56 AM

Answers

• You have a couple of options. 

If you want to keep it as a network drive you can add an inexpensive network switch and then plug your router, whs and the network drive in it.  If you are running a 100 Mbps network then these switches are really cheap these days.  I have seen them as cheap as $10.

Depending on what type of platform you are putting the WHS on and what type of drive is in the network drive you may be able to remove the physical drive from the Network drive case and attach it to the WHS box itself.   Find out if the drive is a Sata or IDE drive and if the WHS platform will support it.

More information is required as to the details of the WHS and the model of the Network drive.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:28 PM

All replies

• You have a couple of options. 

If you want to keep it as a network drive you can add an inexpensive network switch and then plug your router, whs and the network drive in it.  If you are running a 100 Mbps network then these switches are really cheap these days.  I have seen them as cheap as $10.

Depending on what type of platform you are putting the WHS on and what type of drive is in the network drive you may be able to remove the physical drive from the Network drive case and attach it to the WHS box itself.   Find out if the drive is a Sata or IDE drive and if the WHS platform will support it.

More information is required as to the details of the WHS and the model of the Network drive.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:28 PM
  • Another option would be to setup a script, which copies the shared folders automatically to that drive (as far as it provides enough space).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:48 PM
  • If the drive can be connected directly to your home server via USB or eSATA, then you could potentially use it as a server share backup drive, or even as additional storage by adding it to the storage pool. (I would not recommend using a USB drive in the storage pool; too many people have had problems with the drive going "missing" while still connected, or other problems.)

Other options are as stated above: remove the physical drive from the case and install it in your server, configure a script to back up your shares to the drive over your network, etc. You can even continue to use it as a standalone network drive if you like. I have such a device at home, a Kuro Box on which I run NMBD for reliable name resolution on my home network. It also contains backups of important files.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:35 PM