none
win 7 not booting after dual boot RRS feed

• Question

• I  have installed a win xp sp3 on a win 7 home basic system. i have not a win 7 cd but have the win 7 code installed on my PC . I have Dell 560s inspiron  desktop. how can i reactivate my win 7 now with xp working.

Friday, January 14, 2011 2:53 PM

Answers

• "Amar Pal" wrote in message news:24db4307-9bfd-41d8-bcbe-23df3502c9a3...

I  have installed a win xp sp3 on a win 7 home basic system. i have not a win 7 cd but have the win 7 code installed on my PC . I have Dell 560s inspiron  desktop. how can i reactivate my win 7 now with xp working.

XP will have over-written the Win7 boot loader - you need a Win7 disk to be able to repair the boot sector, and re-written loader

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, January 14, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Use EasyBCD from http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 to reinstall the Windows 7 bootloader and create the boot menu.

EasyBCD can be installed in both XP and Windows 7 .

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:36 PM

All replies

• "Amar Pal" wrote in message news:24db4307-9bfd-41d8-bcbe-23df3502c9a3...

I  have installed a win xp sp3 on a win 7 home basic system. i have not a win 7 cd but have the win 7 code installed on my PC . I have Dell 560s inspiron  desktop. how can i reactivate my win 7 now with xp working.

XP will have over-written the Win7 boot loader - you need a Win7 disk to be able to repair the boot sector, and re-written loader

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, January 14, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Since the question is off topic for this forum and since I have no experience with dual booting I can not tell which (or if both) posts have answered the question.  I am therefore going to mark both Noel's and DominicP's posts as the Answer.

Darin MS
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Hi Everyone, I too faced the problem of dual boot. I installed windows7 OS then in one more partition i installed XP.. when i installed XP. Old version of windows file overwrite the win 7 booting file, so it went to XP directly without showing windows 7. then i Solved by the following procedure 1.Boot with a windows 7 dvd and click on repair option ,repair startup recovery and restart it. 2.when it restarted u can't see the xp in boot list 3.Go on to windows 7 4.Download EASYBCD from this site http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 5.install and configure the boot option 6.Create Windows xp name and specify the drive where it boots from . 7.then restart your problem is solved. 8.You can perform and setup any OS boot menu from windows 7 ,including mac and Linux OS.
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Both of you dual booters also need to be aware that every time you boot into XP the XP VSS driver, volsnap.sys, is going to delete all Windows 7 VSS files.  This means restore points, previous versions, backup and restore files, and anything else using shadow copies.  This is not merely a nuisance.  The solution is to hide Windows 7 from XP.  For a solution see

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185/en-us

Note that XP does not need to be hidden from Win 7.  The key is added to XP only.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:38 PM
    Answerer