Can I run "Drive Extender" on my Vista PC RRS feed

• Question

• I use the WHS box to both backup my PC's and also keep a copy of off my HTPC Media files in the shares. 

I really like how Drive Extender lets me add and remove HDD from my storage pool so I can replace smaller format drives at a later date.

Really dumb questions but can I get this functionality for Vista.  I know I can use Dynamic Disks --> Spaned but you can not really break the span to upgrade drives with out losing all your data (unless I'm wrong) so can I install / run "Drive Extender" on Vista or acheive a similar thing another way?

Thanks
    Nathan
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 8:10 PM

Answers

• jmone said:

I use the WHS box to both backup my PC's and also keep a copy of off my HTPC Media files in the shares. 

I really like how Drive Extender lets me add and remove HDD from my storage pool so I can replace smaller format drives at a later date.

Really dumb questions but can I get this functionality for Vista.  I know I can use Dynamic Disks --> Spaned but you can not really break the span to upgrade drives with out losing all your data (unless I'm wrong) so can I install / run "Drive Extender" on Vista or acheive a similar thing another way?

Thanks
    Nathan

No.  Drive Extender is specific to Windows Home Server.

Friday, March 6, 2009 4:18 AM

All replies

• jmone said:

I use the WHS box to both backup my PC's and also keep a copy of off my HTPC Media files in the shares. 

Thanks
    Nathan

No.  Drive Extender is specific to Windows Home Server.

Friday, March 6, 2009 4:18 AM
  • Thanks - Drive Extender for Vista was a long shot any way (Nice Technology, shame it is not in the main stream OS)....but there has to be a similar setup available for Vista...doesn't there?
    Nathan
    Friday, March 6, 2009 4:26 AM
  • jmone said:

Thanks - Drive Extender for Vista was a long shot any way (Nice Technology, shame it is not in the main stream OS)....but there has to be a similar setup available for Vista...doesn't there?
    Nathan

No, there isn't.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 4:54 AM