Help: MS Money Missing Years of Information After System Reimaging RRS feed

• Question

• Help is greatly appreciated as I am in a little bit of a dilemma. 

I am sharing a computer (OS: Windows 10) with my father and I use this computer for work.  Due to an error with work related software, I was asked to do a reimaging or system reset by IT personnel and told only OS preferences and apps would be affected by the reset and documents would be unaffected. I performed the reset and selected "Keep My Files."  Afterwards, I downloaded MS Money Plus Sunset because my father uses it.  I believe he typically opens the program and it brings up the last session; however, as it was newly installed, it brought up a new user setup screen.  We found a .mny file in the Documents folder with the "date last modified" listed as the day of the reset; unfortunately, after opening the document and signing in using his email and password, the latest records in the "account register" were from 5 years ago!  Somehow years of information have disappeared and I have checked everywhere on the pc looking for a missing .mny file.  I searched the Windows.old file created after the reset and it was nowhere to be found.

Please note: I am aware it was a poor decision to perform the reset without creating a backup and I should have given my father the opportunity to backup his information prior to doing so; however, the lesson has been learned.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about where this information could be stored or how it can be retrieved? 

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:38 AM

All replies

• Do you have any backup (*.mbf) files? If so, copy them somewhere else safe and then restore from backup

Dr AS

Thursday, March 2, 2017 12:21 PM
  • Have you re-installed all relevant chipset and other drivers since the reset?

The .mny and .mbf files may be on a drive or partition which is not accessible or has not been allocated a drive letter.
    Check in Disk Management and also in OneDrive or any other online storage your father may have used.

Backups protect against failure of hard disks/SSDs. In such a case there might be no way of recovering any information at all.
    You should always have at least one current backup, and have tested it from time to time to be sure data is recoverable from it.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:11 PM
  • I suggest that you search the whole hard drive for all *.mny and *.mbf files. Looking at the dates should show which you want.

If Sample.mny does not show up in your search, your search is inadequate. You don't need that file, but you can use it as an indicator. I like Agent Ransack search, but I see that now that Windows search can be more inclusive than it was at some point.

I have my scheduled backup save to a flash drive, I keep plugged in, every 2 weeks. By default, Money saves the last 4 upon-exit and scheduled backups by default. That can be changed up to 99 each. Do not drop them to 1, since a glitch could be saved to the latest backup.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:57 PM
  • To all contributors: Harrogate, Dominic and Cal, Thank you so much for your help so far. When able, I'll try out all of your suggested solutions and get back with the results. If successful, I'll be sure to mark an answer. Again, thank you for your contributions.
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:12 PM