Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) aka SharedAccess Service vs. OneCare Firewall aka msfwsvc RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have both of these services in the running state and on "Auto".

1.  Is this the optimal configuration?

2.  Is there any conflict with running both of these at the same time?

3.  Is there any advantages to running both of these services concurrently?

4.  Is it better to leave SharedAccess on?  Or turn it off?

Thanks.  I did try to search for a similar thread but I'm afraid I either got too many results or too few, unrelated results.

Monday, May 5, 2008 11:18 AM

Answers

• If you don't use Internet Connection Sharing, that is your PC acts as a Gateway for other PCs or devices on your LAN to access the Internet, you generally don't need ICS running. If it is running, and not allowed in the ports and protocols tab in the OneCare firewall settings, it won't work, but if it is running, something has requested the service to start. I would not disable ICS. And, you most certainly want the OneCare firewall service to be on and running.

-steve

Monday, May 5, 2008 3:14 PM

All replies

• If you don't use Internet Connection Sharing, that is your PC acts as a Gateway for other PCs or devices on your LAN to access the Internet, you generally don't need ICS running. If it is running, and not allowed in the ports and protocols tab in the OneCare firewall settings, it won't work, but if it is running, something has requested the service to start. I would not disable ICS. And, you most certainly want the OneCare firewall service to be on and running.

-steve

Monday, May 5, 2008 3:14 PM
  •  

I had called Computer Mfg. on an operational issue.... I turned of One Care Firewall to allow the Technican to gain access. When the issue was resolve the computer tech logged off.... Then I attempted to turn the firewall back on, it indicated a problem. I tried the fix and it failed. Then it told me to reboot and try again. I have, doesn't work.... Just get the same error message!!! Have repeated, no success.

Bill

Saturday, June 28, 2008 9:18 PM
  • It would seem that the tech made some changes that are now causing a problem with OneCare. If the 

Firewall repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2 doesn't fix it, then I suggest a reinstall of OneCare. If the problem persists, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, June 30, 2008 2:46 PM