"This copy of Windows is not genuine" RRS feed

• Question

• For some unknown reason my Win7 computer just started to tell me that it is not a genuine copy (Win7, Build 7601, "not genuine"). I haven't done anything, in particular have I not run any registry cleaners or "optimizers". This is new. I have been using the software for more than a year and have never seen the warning. The software (and license key) does come from the distribution with the MS partner network.

I did check the threads, and there is a thread that seems to deal with my exact problem (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/5da0d9d7-6b43-4e8d-8317-a7dfe223c082), however, I don't know if the solution provided there is specific to the original poster (as the admonition of the reponder to a another poster at the end of the thread seems to indicate), or if it is a generic "solution" that I can try.

Should I try the solution provided in the above thread, or should I start a new thread (or continue this one) and post the diagnostic results from my computer here?

Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:39 AM

Answers

All replies