Remove hard drive XP Home hidden information? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get rid of an old pc with a purchased XP Home operating system. So I repartitioned and formatted with Windows 98 and sold it to a guy. He wanted to install XP Pro and he had a problem with the product key boxes coming up as five squares. His program has more. He sends it back to me a I purchased a program to write zeros on the drive and remove the serial number and drive information. He get it back and has the same problem. Somewhere on the drive is still something looking for the five group product key that I had with XP Home. How do I get this disk cleaned for someone else to use? Office XP Standard was also installed on this computer which had a five box product key.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:52 PM

Answers

• kwolfe,

Tell the person who purchased the PC to try using genuine Microsoft software.

ALL genuine copies of XP (be it Home, Pro, Media Center, or Tablet) that I have seen (and that's a few!) use the Microsoft classic "five by five" (meaning five boxes of five characters each) Product Key.

Is the guy confusing the Product Key with the Product ID?

Seriously, does this guy think something survived a disk wiping program?  Tell him to try dban for himself  http://dban.sourceforge.net/
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:21 PM