Default Administrator password for Windows Home Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Three times now, I've installed the Home Server OS onto my IBM x3500 and after each install (or reinstall at this point) everything seems to work fine.  But, as soon as I turn the machine off, when rebooted, it wants a password for the Administrator profile that I don't have.  It never prompts me to define a password for the Administrator account and the stored password is not the password you have to set for the machine during setup.  I also cannot leave the field blank because the OS says I've entered the wrong password. 

Does anyone have any idea what this default password is or how I can bypass it, or failing either of those, how on the next reinstall, I can put in a password for the Administrator account and get access to the home server? 

I have successfully configured the server so that I can access it from my desktop or remotely, but without being able to actually access it locally, I can't change any settings.  Its incredibly frustrating and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:16 PM

All replies

• There is no default password; when you go through the OOBE setup for your server, the password you choose for the console is set as the Administrator password.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:51 PM
  • According to you have said above, you may lost your windows home server admin password.

You can reset the password with a password reset disk which you created before or find some password hints to guess your lost windows password.

The last method you should to try is resetting the lost windows admin password by a third party Windows Password Unlocker tool .

Normally you can follow these steps below to reset the lost windows password :

There are 2 options for you: recover Windows password with a bootable CD/DVD or recover Windows password with a USB flash drive.

Before starting, a bootable CD/DVD or USB flash drive and a computer with CD drive are required. (Internal CD drive and external CD drive are both OK.

Option 1: Recover Windows password by burning a bootable CD/DVD

Option 2: Recover Windows password by burning a USB flash drive

The whole Windows password recovery process can be divided to 3 big steps:

* >> Step 1: Burn a USB flash drive to remove lost Windows password

* >> Step 2: Set your target computer to boot from USB

* >> Step 3: Recover forgotten Windows password with the burned USB flash drive

• Edited by Password Unlocker Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:07 AM diffirent letterform
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:05 AM
  • Although this is an old post if anyone else comes across this issue try the password "Admin"
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:40 PM
  • Although this is an old post if anyone else comes across this issue try the password "Admin"

Thank you.

In my case "Admin" was the default password.

I was trying to install from a USB key on a headless server.

Monday, August 18, 2014 6:32 PM