.sfz patches and drum programming (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• drrobato posted on 01-12-2009 3:17 AM

Hi,

I have been toying with your application and almost immediately started editing the patches. I was wondering, whats the typical keymapping the sequencer uses for generating the rythm? E.g. does the program assume a sample mapped to C1 to be a kick etc? furthermore, would it be possible to edit the behaviour of the patterning? I'm trying to insert a sliced up breakbeat sample with slices of the break mapped to different keys. Typically a drum pattern made in this fashion has a slightly less complex patterning as really all you're doing is just re-arranging slices, and I noticed cutting out keys mapped in an .sfz then changing the polyphony to 1 resulted in plenty of silent hits in the beat.

Electronic music is a bit of a hobby, and i'm curious as to how I could twist your stuff to be ... well...  different. It is enjoyable to toy with.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:27 PM

Answers

• dmorris replied on 01-12-2009 2:47 PM

Love these expert questions; we're musicians too and it's always fun to talk shop. :)

The MIDI sequence that gets sent to the synthesizer uses the standard GM drum mapping; in fact a great way for you to test this out is to export a MIDI file from Songsmith and look at the output.  You'll see drums on the standard channel 10 which conform to the GM drum rules:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI#Percussion_notes

As far as editing the actual MIDI arrangement... the only way to do this is to create custom style files.  The style files are provided by PG Music, so you can edit them in PG Music's Band-in-a-Box.  The actual format of the style files is not public (to my knowledge).  If you create your own styles, we'd love to hear about them!  This would be a fantastic "twist" on the usual uses of Songsmith!

Thanks for your interest!

-Dan

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:27 PM