Product Key Help RRS feed

• Question

• I am typing in my product key given to me for my new laptop correctly, however when I try it in, a note keeps poping up telling me it is not correct.
    I have doubled checked and retyped the product key mutiple times, but nothing is working.

What do I do?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:37 PM

Answers

•   Are you referring to Office or Windows?

Windows is the Operating System and Office is the Productivity suit that usually includes Word, Excel and so on.

If the issue you are having is with Office then please know that most Computer manufacturers often install a trial version of Microsoft Office.  If you are getting a prompt to type in a Product Key when opening a Microsoft Office program, it is likely the trial period is over and you'll need to purchase a license (product key) for Microsoft Office.

The product key affixed to your computer is for Windows (the operating system) and not for Microsoft Office. 

If you payed to a Full version of Office to be included in your new computer then the Product Key for that copy of Office would be included in the documentation that came with the computer or with the Office Reinstall disks that came with the computer.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:57 PM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:28 PM

All replies

• If your laptop is new, it should be pre-activated by the manufacturer. Are you sure it's new? The product key on the COA should work fine? Is the edition installed on the computer the same as the one names on the COA?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:58 PM
  • yes it's new. but only the  miscrosoft trail verson was downloaded.
    and yes the edition on the computer is the same.
    i just don't see why it is telling me the product key is incorrect, when i am copying it perfectly fine.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:33 PM
  •   Are you referring to Office or Windows?

Windows is the Operating System and Office is the Productivity suit that usually includes Word, Excel and so on.

If the issue you are having is with Office then please know that most Computer manufacturers often install a trial version of Microsoft Office.  If you are getting a prompt to type in a Product Key when opening a Microsoft Office program, it is likely the trial period is over and you'll need to purchase a license (product key) for Microsoft Office.

The product key affixed to your computer is for Windows (the operating system) and not for Microsoft Office. 

If you payed to a Full version of Office to be included in your new computer then the Product Key for that copy of Office would be included in the documentation that came with the computer or with the Office Reinstall disks that came with the computer.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:57 PM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Yes I am referring to Microsoft Office.
    However, the product key sticker on the bottle of my laptop says Microsoft right on it.
    Therefore, shouldn't this work for Microsoft Office?

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:18 AM
  • "Tash1234" wrote in message news:b1c0e765-0c1c-48f4-a079-bef12197b43f...

Yes I am referring to Microsoft Office.
    However, the product key sticker on the bottle of my laptop says Microsoft right on it.
    Therefore, shouldn't this work for Microsoft Office?

No - the Key on the bottom is for Windows. If you want to activate Office you have to purchase either a Key, or a full installation.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:24 AM