1TB Drive Recommendations? RRS feed

All replies

• I have 6 of the WD 1TB drives in my servers and they run very cool and quietly.  So far, no problems with the drives.

I also have 2 of the Hitachis and they seem to run almost as cool and with the acoustic management software they are almost as quiet.

I think the specs for the Hitachis might be a bit better from a performance standpoint according to some reviews I've read but I really can't tell the difference.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:45 AM
  • I'm using eight of the Seagate Barracuda 1TB drives for my data store.  One of the drives suffered infant mortality (died within four hours of power-up) and was replaced by Seagate under warranty.  The other seven drives (and the replacement, for that matter) are working just fine.

FWIW, Maximum PC magazine just did a 1TB drive "shootout" and declared the Seagate drive as the favorite.  Don't know how much value you put on that, but it's another data point for you...

tkarp

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:59 AM
  • I use two of the WD 1TB drives, and they're great. I got them recently, when Newegg had them for $249. Although not quite as fast as the other 1TB drives, I doubt it will be noticed. The cost/efficiency/thermal/acoustic/performance combination is fantastic, particularly for WHS/data servers.

Also, according to Tom's Hardware's evaluation, the new Samsung 1TB drive is the fastest yet, just as an FYI. Not sure how readily available they are yet. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/21/samsung_overtakes_with_a_bang/

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:48 PM
  •  heaphus wrote:

Newegg had them for $249

Wow. Missed that...

I've had 3 of the 1 TB Caviar GPs running in my WHS box for a month now. No complaints and I'm pleased by their silence and cool running/low power consumption. Performance on WHS seems to be bound by lots of things--and I'm running a BE-2350 Athlon x2 with 2GB of dual channel PC2-800 memory with GigE--but these drives have never given any hint they were a limiting factor. That having been said, I don't think I would put them in a performance oriented desktop build.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 7:54 PM
  • Are you using ES2 or 7200.11?  I have been using  4 - 7200.11s and have no problems.  I think the 5400rmp WD GP are too slow in read/write performance.  Seagate rocks! 

Friday, December 7, 2007 4:15 PM