Main disk with WHS system partition only RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy, first post here.  I'm about to install WHS for the first time.  My system has an 80GB main drive and I'm adding more drives with eSATA.  As I understand it, on the main disk WHS will create the system partition and the data partition.  I'd like to have only the WHS system partition on the main disk and the primary data partition only on the secondary disks.  Is it possible to do this?  I suspect that it isn't but want to know for sure. 

My motivation is that I don't want any of my data exposed to a main disk failure.  That may be an unnecessary worry, though:  If I put all of my data in shared folders then it will probably be safe, even if some of it is on the main disk and it goes down.  A Server Reinstallation will re-duplicate the dups that were lost on the primary data partition portion of the main disk, right?

Sorry if these are stupid questions... I'm just getting up to speed on WHS.

Thanks!
    Friday, December 18, 2009 9:45 PM

Answers

• There's no supported way to install Windows Home Server the way you want, I'm afraid. It may be technically possible, but it will require you to interrupt the scripted setup routine to move the D: partition onto another disk, and will (probably) make server recovery nearly impossible in the event of a failed system drive or OS corruption.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, December 19, 2009 2:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by marcjordan Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:24 AM
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 2:04 PM

All replies

• I'm curious about this as well. I have a small (120gb) install drive that I'd just as soon be all for the OS. I have two 2TB data drives. I'd like to get rid of the data partition on the 120gb drive and just have a single 120gb partition with the OS on it. Is this possible? I was going to try and delete the data partition, but it says it's in use. Since I don't have any data on the server yet, I was going to give it whirl and see what happens. I'm hoping I can just extend the 20gb os partition into the rest of the space. If I try this I'll post back with my results, but if someone actually knows the answer, please do chime in.
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 7:36 AM
  • There's no supported way to install Windows Home Server the way you want, I'm afraid. It may be technically possible, but it will require you to interrupt the scripted setup routine to move the D: partition onto another disk, and will (probably) make server recovery nearly impossible in the event of a failed system drive or OS corruption.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, December 19, 2009 2:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by marcjordan Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:24 AM
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Thanks!
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:24 AM