Understanding CRM and Emails RRS feed

• Question

• When you track an email in CRM how long do they stay in CRM?  What about archive settings in a users outlook/exchange server?

It looks like the files attached to the email also get attached.  So at some point we might run into size issues.   We need some best practice advise and an understanding of where this could go.

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:08 PM

Answers

• When an email gets stored in CRM it is an independent copy of what is stored in a user's mailbox - this not effected by anything on the Exchange side. In an out of the box scenario there is nothing to purge or archive old data. The assumption being a person could always go back through custom history and find all the communication. 

You can control the maximum size of files in CRM - this could potentially help extend the length of time before you run into issues. You could look into the native SharePoint integration and maintain the attachments there or a different file storage location. There are some solutions floating around that can do this.  

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:15 PM

All replies

• When an email gets stored in CRM it is an independent copy of what is stored in a user's mailbox - this not effected by anything on the Exchange side. In an out of the box scenario there is nothing to purge or archive old data. The assumption being a person could always go back through custom history and find all the communication. 

You can control the maximum size of files in CRM - this could potentially help extend the length of time before you run into issues. You could look into the native SharePoint integration and maintain the attachments there or a different file storage location. There are some solutions floating around that can do this.  

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:15 PM
  • JLattimer,

Thank you.  that gives me a direction to start researching (Sharepoint storage)

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:40 PM