10 lic. copy of windows failing RRS feed

• Question

• well i went down to the local computer fiar http://www.lacomputerfiar.com a coupel months back and a software vendor was saling a 10lic windows xp pro os for 160bucks so i bought it has a cdkey and hologram disk but when i install i get a not valid cdkey can anyone help me figure this out? i ran that WGADiag thing ive seen in other posts adn this is its results

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-XKD7P-Y47XF-P829W
    Windows Product Key Hash: 1t4viAIYsmXwfmAVQl7cTPpStKg=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-5115475-23087
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {C58B0D2A-339E-4DC3-A81E-3BF855CF6F19}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: D:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:23 AM

Answers

• Your MGA report shows a Volume License version of Windows XP Professional installed with a non-genuine Product Key. It appears you were sold a counterfeit copy or copies of Windows XP. 

In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on your options which include how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Please read the following: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=prepurchase

Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:29 PM
  • JokerNfear,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP Pro installed (Line 11), and that installation was done with an invalid Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are invalidated by Microsoft at the report of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, or misused.  Also, MS may have invalidated the key if it was generated by a non-MS Key Generator program, which seem to be your situation.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are upgrade licenses only and can never be used as the orginal or base license for a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on the computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

The next step in the process is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or some other version?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

You wrote that you received a genuine hologrammed Microsoft CD with your purchase.  If this is a genuine CD, that's a good thing.  Curiously, if you received a nongenuine CD that can be classified by Microsoft as a high quality counterfeit, that's just as good a thing and maybe better!

Please closely examine the CD that came with your purchase.

If it a hologrammed CD that has a large area of green or red silk screening in the upper right, please have a look at this web page http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/windows/quiz_vol.aspx?displaylang=en&acq=4 and then report back to us.

If it is a hologrammed CD that has no colorful silk screening, please have a look at this web page http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/windows/ and under "Select your purchase method" choose one of two choices on the left, and then follow along until you get to your CD, the report back to us.

If it is a hologrammed CD, you can also have a look at the counterfeit samples page by starting here http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit and then choosing the Counterfeit Gallery, and then choosing the Windows OS tab then looking at the various levels of counterfeit CDs.

Lastly, let us know these two things:

1.  Is the hologram of the CD embedded within the plastic of the CD, or is it a very thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD?

2.  Pop the CD into a computer and navigate to the setupp.ini file within the \i386 folder.  This is a small file with several lines of text and numbers.  Please post the text on the last line of the file.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:17 PM
  • well the disc is like half halogram othe rhalf green says

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with service pack 2

at bottom in the holgram area says Microsoft licensing and i see in green area OEM distribution

Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:35 PM
  • JokerNfear,

1.  Is the hologram of the CD embedded within the plastic of the CD, or is it a very thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD?

2.  Pop the CD into a computer and navigate to the setupp.ini file within the \i386 folder.  This is a small file with several lines of text and numbers.  Please post the text on the last line of the file.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:50 PM
  • its embeded its not liek a label stuck on or glues it looks part of the cd and the file setupp.ini i gotta wait until i get home cd is there but like i remmber the disc i was looking at it last night and dismorning i looked for the label before i bought it making sur eit was part fo the disc not a label its the real disc just im thinking the key is the non legit thing right now after reading posts here..making me pretty fustrated..cause thats 160bucks down the drain thats money i dont have..when i get home ill get the file and copy the last line like u asked but for now thats best info i can give u until i get back home

Thursday, July 19, 2007 6:02 PM
  • Joker,

Your software is non-genuine as Dan and Carey indicated. You can submit a piracy report and may qualify for free software. Give all the information when filling out the report and follow the instructions Microsoft provides. Take care.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, July 19, 2007 7:05 PM
  • this is the setupp.ini lines

[Pid]
    ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF
    Pid=76487OEM
    Friday, July 20, 2007 5:17 AM
  • is it agasint forum rules to scan the disc like on a scaner and put up on here so u can see it?

its the disc i obught and key came with

Friday, July 20, 2007 5:16 PM
  • Joker:

While it is not necessarily against forum policy to do so, we CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. We have a 3rd party registered Cryptography lab evaluate EVERY (really!) submission for the High-Quality Counterfeit replacement program - as they have a pre-determined subset of items they look for.

I know you were looking for another answer, but unfortunately that is the only one I can provide for you at this time Sad.

-phil

Friday, July 20, 2007 8:32 PM

All replies

• Your MGA report shows a Volume License version of Windows XP Professional installed with a non-genuine Product Key. It appears you were sold a counterfeit copy or copies of Windows XP. 

In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on your options which include how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Please read the following: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=prepurchase

Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:29 PM
  • JokerNfear,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP Pro installed (Line 11), and that installation was done with an invalid Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are invalidated by Microsoft at the report of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, or misused.  Also, MS may have invalidated the key if it was generated by a non-MS Key Generator program, which seem to be your situation.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are upgrade licenses only and can never be used as the orginal or base license for a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on the computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

The next step in the process is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or some other version?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

You wrote that you received a genuine hologrammed Microsoft CD with your purchase.  If this is a genuine CD, that's a good thing.  Curiously, if you received a nongenuine CD that can be classified by Microsoft as a high quality counterfeit, that's just as good a thing and maybe better!

Please closely examine the CD that came with your purchase.

If it a hologrammed CD that has a large area of green or red silk screening in the upper right, please have a look at this web page http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/windows/quiz_vol.aspx?displaylang=en&acq=4 and then report back to us.

If it is a hologrammed CD that has no colorful silk screening, please have a look at this web page http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/windows/ and under "Select your purchase method" choose one of two choices on the left, and then follow along until you get to your CD, the report back to us.

If it is a hologrammed CD, you can also have a look at the counterfeit samples page by starting here http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit and then choosing the Counterfeit Gallery, and then choosing the Windows OS tab then looking at the various levels of counterfeit CDs.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:17 PM
  • well the disc is like half halogram othe rhalf green says

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with service pack 2

at bottom in the holgram area says Microsoft licensing and i see in green area OEM distribution

Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:35 PM
  • JokerNfear,

Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:50 PM
  • its embeded its not liek a label stuck on or glues it looks part of the cd and the file setupp.ini i gotta wait until i get home cd is there but like i remmber the disc i was looking at it last night and dismorning i looked for the label before i bought it making sur eit was part fo the disc not a label its the real disc just im thinking the key is the non legit thing right now after reading posts here..making me pretty fustrated..cause thats 160bucks down the drain thats money i dont have..when i get home ill get the file and copy the last line like u asked but for now thats best info i can give u until i get back home

Thursday, July 19, 2007 6:02 PM
  • Joker,

Your software is non-genuine as Dan and Carey indicated. You can submit a piracy report and may qualify for free software. Give all the information when filling out the report and follow the instructions Microsoft provides. Take care.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, July 19, 2007 7:05 PM
  • this is the setupp.ini lines

[Pid]
    ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF
    Pid=76487OEM
    Friday, July 20, 2007 5:17 AM
  • JokerNfear,

I'm not exactly sure what kind of CD you have.  You wrote that the green silk screened area has wording to the effect of "for OEM distribution" and the contents of the setupp.ini file indicate that this is a type of OEM CD.

Did you use this exact CD to do the installation of XP that generated the mgadiag report that you posted in this thread?

Friday, July 20, 2007 2:04 PM
  • is it agasint forum rules to scan the disc like on a scaner and put up on here so u can see it?

its the disc i obught and key came with

Friday, July 20, 2007 5:16 PM
  • Joker:

While it is not necessarily against forum policy to do so, we CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. We have a 3rd party registered Cryptography lab evaluate EVERY (really!) submission for the High-Quality Counterfeit replacement program - as they have a pre-determined subset of items they look for.

I know you were looking for another answer, but unfortunately that is the only one I can provide for you at this time Sad.

-phil

Friday, July 20, 2007 8:32 PM