Multiple back-up plans for one PC? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to create two different backups on my PC so that I can backup my personal related data to one external drive, and my work related data to another external drive, is this possible?

Thanks in advance...

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:21 AM

Answers

• Sort of, but not specifically with OneCare.

Well, with OneCare, when you create the backup plan, it will backup on the schedule you set and backup the data you specify (by file type) and to the location you choose. If you then modify the plan to backup different data to a different location, the original plan is gone and the new plan takes effect. So, you can't have two plans on the PC at one time.

That means that you can choose to backup all data in one plan to a single destination. This might include your personal and work files or just one type, based on exclusions of folders or specific files from the plan.

Then, to backup to the other external drive, I'd suggest using a free utility, SyncToy to sync folders of your choosing to the other external drive. SyncToy is unsupported, but it works quite well - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0fc1154-c975-4814-9649-cce41af06eb7&DisplayLang=en

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:00 PM

All replies

• Sort of, but not specifically with OneCare.

Well, with OneCare, when you create the backup plan, it will backup on the schedule you set and backup the data you specify (by file type) and to the location you choose. If you then modify the plan to backup different data to a different location, the original plan is gone and the new plan takes effect. So, you can't have two plans on the PC at one time.

That means that you can choose to backup all data in one plan to a single destination. This might include your personal and work files or just one type, based on exclusions of folders or specific files from the plan.

Then, to backup to the other external drive, I'd suggest using a free utility, SyncToy to sync folders of your choosing to the other external drive. SyncToy is unsupported, but it works quite well - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0fc1154-c975-4814-9649-cce41af06eb7&DisplayLang=en

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:00 PM
  •  

Cheers for this Steve, looks like the SyncToy app, which I've never heard of, looks like a better alternative to OneCare backup. I will give it a try!
    Friday, May 16, 2008 2:27 PM
  • Enjoy. :-) I *love* SyncToy.

-steve

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:25 AM