structured panorama RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I'm trying to stitch together two images, and notice that I cannot set the vertical overlap. While there's plenty of overlapping to do this automatically, it's not reading correctly, and only shows one of the images, instead of both, stitched together, so I was trying to do this in the structured. My hope was to set both the horizontal, and the vertical overlaps.

What does it take to release the lock on vertical overlap, when the images are side-by-side, instead of top-over-bottom?

I.e., I really need both vertical and horizontal alignment slide bars free to do this myself.

I've provided a screen shot below to show what I'm trying to do. I need to drop the left image (using vertical alignment) so that the roadways align, and adjust the horizontal using the horiz. slide bar. The right side of the image shows the structure I have-- lower left corner for image 1, and lower row, one column in from left for image 2.

When I have these vertically aligned, the vertical slide bar is active, but when they are horizonally aligned, the vertical slide bar is locked, and horizontal is free. I really need them both free.

TYIA.

Monday, April 23, 2012 7:13 PM

Answers

• Have you tried cropping the images down a little bit to remove the blank borders?

Of course the difference is that ICE is based on stitching images taken from a single location..  so you can reconstruct the image 'bubble' around the camera.
    What you are asking for here is that the 'camera' is moved along to different locations....  the map is a representation of the space, but each map is effectively drawn from a different location (like an aerial image). This is a different task to what ICE does.

You might want to look at a GIS package... open source ones include GRASS, QGIS, SAGA... and check out how to georeference the images to produce a map mosaic.
    Or you could just use a graphic package like GIMP or Paint.NET... again crop the images and position them as you did in the paper version. This would be the easiest approach.

• Marked as answer by SteveDB1 Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:50 PM
    Saturday, May 5, 2012 6:59 PM

All replies

• Those two images don't look like they will stitch in ICE.  Are these two different maps?  I don't see any features in common between the two. 
    Monday, April 23, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Hi Matt.

Thank you for responding to my post.

Yes, they are two different maps. The two longer, angled lines, from southwest to northeast, left to right, are a federal highway.

And you are correct-- I am not able to get them to stitch together.... hence my problem, and reason for posting.

Believe it or not-- the overlap does exist. I had the preview overlap box checked, so it was flipping back and forth. I did not realize until afterwards that it'd catch one side or the other.

That however does not actually answer my question.

In horizontal layout, what will it take for you guys to open up the vertical overlap slider bar, so that I can get them to align vertically?

The image on the right should be up by.... oh, those are 17 x 11 images so.... 3 inches.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:55 PM
  • With two images you can only slide them horizontally or vertically not both.  The assumption in this UI is that things are shot on a grid. 

We aren't making any changes to this application for the forseeable future.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:12 AM
  • Thanks MAtt, presently, I am aware of that. That's too bad, because while you have a really great tool here-- that limits its usability for people like me.

However, I have, as stated, manually printed each page out, cut them down, taped them together, and now, with a wp7 scanning app put it up on my sky drive. THIS is what it's SUPPOSED to look like. It's rotated, and sky drive doesn't appear to have rotating tools.

THIS is what I was trying to do with your ICE.

Sure would've made things easier, that's for real certain.

Friday, April 27, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Have you tried cropping the images down a little bit to remove the blank borders?

Of course the difference is that ICE is based on stitching images taken from a single location..  so you can reconstruct the image 'bubble' around the camera.
    What you are asking for here is that the 'camera' is moved along to different locations....  the map is a representation of the space, but each map is effectively drawn from a different location (like an aerial image). This is a different task to what ICE does.

You might want to look at a GIS package... open source ones include GRASS, QGIS, SAGA... and check out how to georeference the images to produce a map mosaic.
    Or you could just use a graphic package like GIMP or Paint.NET... again crop the images and position them as you did in the paper version. This would be the easiest approach.

• Marked as answer by SteveDB1 Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:50 PM
    Saturday, May 5, 2012 6:59 PM