remote debug plug in RRS feed

• Question

•  

hi

i have a problem debuging plug-in code,i develop from one environment for some other environmnent

when i use the plug in regisration tool i can only register the plug in on the database(witch makes it harder to debug it)

the first problem here is hoe to capture the w3wp.exe file in the other environment(when i don't have any access to it)

?

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:15 PM

Answers

• You can use the Plug-in Registration tool to register the plug-in on-disk. Then you must manually copy over the plug-in's DLL to the server\bin\assembly of the CRM server.

I am told that you can debug a database registered plug-in by copying the compiled plug-in's .pdb file to the server\bin\assembly folder of the CRM server. However, I have never tried this myself.

Visual Studio supports remote debugging. Do a search for "remote debugging" or "Remote Debugging Setup" in the Visual Studio help. Basically, you install some Visual Studio remote debugging components on the CRM Server which you VS session will connect to.

PeterH

Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:08 PM

All replies

• You can use the Plug-in Registration tool to register the plug-in on-disk. Then you must manually copy over the plug-in's DLL to the server\bin\assembly of the CRM server.

I am told that you can debug a database registered plug-in by copying the compiled plug-in's .pdb file to the server\bin\assembly folder of the CRM server. However, I have never tried this myself.

Visual Studio supports remote debugging. Do a search for "remote debugging" or "Remote Debugging Setup" in the Visual Studio help. Basically, you install some Visual Studio remote debugging components on the CRM Server which you VS session will connect to.

PeterH

Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:08 PM
  • i tried to do the staps descibed in the sdk\internt and still it's not working(the plug in works but not the debug)

Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:15 AM
  • Also remember that there can be more than one CRM process (ie: w3wp) running at the same time on the CRM server. The SDK describes how to find the one that is running your plug-in. If you attach to the wrong w3wp process, the debugger will never stop at the breakpoint in your plug-in.

PeterH

Monday, November 17, 2008 10:56 PM