Can we edit files in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Now that we're beta testing PP1, and the data corruption bug fix is in there to test.  Do you recommend testing the editing of music, photo, or any files within WHS, or are we going to no matter what have to copy the files to our local machines and edit the files there, then transfer them back?  Yes I did make a backup of my shares so I could test out PP1.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:59 PM

Answers

• Gabev,

The PP1 includes the fix for the possible corruption bug, so, in theory, there should be be no problems, but, it is a Beta. As you are acting as a Beta tester, you need to read through the documentation and run through the tests that are detailed in there, which does include editing files on the server.

The WHS Team are wanting beta participants to actually run the tests, not just use the PP1 as a 'bug fix', so they get the results from as many hardware combinations/operators as possible.

Colin

Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:26 PM
  • As Colin has said, the whole point of the beta is to test the bug fix - not the other features of PP1. The more people that test the bug fix and the scenarios, the quicker any issues can be highlighted and corrected, the quicker the production release of PP1 will be.

Andrew

Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:25 PM
  • I would never store Quicken files on a file server or Windows Home Server, because Intuit says not to do it ...

Here is a draft of a KB Article that the Windows Home Server team is having published:

Outlook Personal Folder Files (.pst) should not be stored on Windows Home Server

Summary:

Microsoft Outlook personal folder files (.pst) and Quicken files are unsupported over a home network using Windows Home Server.   Additionally, other PC applications may not be designed to work with a home server over a home network.  If you have any questions about whether a specific application will work where the files are stored on Windows Home Server, then you should check with the application vendor prior to loading the files on your home server and accessing them from a home computer.

More Information:

As stated in KB297019 the Microsoft Exchange Server team created Microsoft Outlook personal files (.pst files) with the intent of letting a person maintain a copy of their messages on their local computer.  Microsoft Outlook .pst files also serve the purpose of a message store for users who do not have access to a Microsoft Exchange Server, for example, you can use Microsoft Outlook as a front-end to an internet hosted mail service.   Users should continue to store their Microsoft Outlook .pst files on their home computers and use the Windows Home Server home computer backup solution to create a backup copy of these files.

Intuit Quicken files are solely intended to be stored and accessed using a single home computer.  Using Intuit Quicken in a home network is not supported or recommended. Users attempting to store, access and modify Intuit Quicken databases stored on a home server risk easily reproducible loss of data and corruption of the Quicken database.

Additionally, other PC applications may not be designed to work with a home server over a home network.  If you have any questions about whether a specific application will work where the files are stored on Windows Home Server, then you should check with the application vendor prior to loading the files on your home server and accessing them from a home computer.

Recommendations:

The Remote Access feature provided by Windows Home Server allows access to a home computer via the internet as well as on your home network. Utilize Remote Desktop on your home network or Remote Access from the internet to access the home computer that has Microsoft Outlook, Intuit Quicken or other PC-centric  applications installed to ensure you are using the software within the supported configuration.

Friday, June 20, 2008 1:01 AM

All replies

• Gabev,

The PP1 includes the fix for the possible corruption bug, so, in theory, there should be be no problems, but, it is a Beta. As you are acting as a Beta tester, you need to read through the documentation and run through the tests that are detailed in there, which does include editing files on the server.

The WHS Team are wanting beta participants to actually run the tests, not just use the PP1 as a 'bug fix', so they get the results from as many hardware combinations/operators as possible.

Colin

Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:26 PM
  • As Colin has said, the whole point of the beta is to test the bug fix - not the other features of PP1. The more people that test the bug fix and the scenarios, the quicker any issues can be highlighted and corrected, the quicker the production release of PP1 will be.

Andrew

Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:25 PM
  • There are documents available on Connect that will guide you through various tests using Power Pack 1. These are designed to test and stress the new technologies included in Power Pack 1.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:34 PM
  • I created a dummy Quicken 2008 file on the WHS and made tons of changes to that file and never had a problem with corruption on PP1.  I know Quicken data files are one of the types specifially mentioned in the KB article.  That said, I didn't try this pre-PP1 so I don't know if I had the corruption bug or not.  I did have one MP3 file corrupted pre-PP1 and a few MP3 playback problems that I have not seen since I installed PP1.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 12:18 AM
  • I would never store Quicken files on a file server or Windows Home Server, because Intuit says not to do it ...

Here is a draft of a KB Article that the Windows Home Server team is having published:

Outlook Personal Folder Files (.pst) should not be stored on Windows Home Server

Summary:

Microsoft Outlook personal folder files (.pst) and Quicken files are unsupported over a home network using Windows Home Server.   Additionally, other PC applications may not be designed to work with a home server over a home network.  If you have any questions about whether a specific application will work where the files are stored on Windows Home Server, then you should check with the application vendor prior to loading the files on your home server and accessing them from a home computer.

More Information:

As stated in KB297019 the Microsoft Exchange Server team created Microsoft Outlook personal files (.pst files) with the intent of letting a person maintain a copy of their messages on their local computer.  Microsoft Outlook .pst files also serve the purpose of a message store for users who do not have access to a Microsoft Exchange Server, for example, you can use Microsoft Outlook as a front-end to an internet hosted mail service.   Users should continue to store their Microsoft Outlook .pst files on their home computers and use the Windows Home Server home computer backup solution to create a backup copy of these files.

Intuit Quicken files are solely intended to be stored and accessed using a single home computer.  Using Intuit Quicken in a home network is not supported or recommended. Users attempting to store, access and modify Intuit Quicken databases stored on a home server risk easily reproducible loss of data and corruption of the Quicken database.

Additionally, other PC applications may not be designed to work with a home server over a home network.  If you have any questions about whether a specific application will work where the files are stored on Windows Home Server, then you should check with the application vendor prior to loading the files on your home server and accessing them from a home computer.

Recommendations:

The Remote Access feature provided by Windows Home Server allows access to a home computer via the internet as well as on your home network. Utilize Remote Desktop on your home network or Remote Access from the internet to access the home computer that has Microsoft Outlook, Intuit Quicken or other PC-centric  applications installed to ensure you are using the software within the supported configuration.

Friday, June 20, 2008 1:01 AM