Backup in progress ... RRS feed

• Question

• This is turning into nightmare!

I've put a new HD in my WHS, with a clean install. Then reinstalled the software on a PC, and ran a manual backup: after a few hours it was still at 35% so I stopped it.

Tried again overnight,  it failed. 

Started again a few hours ago, first few percent went up reasonably fast. It is currently on 38%, and it's taken about 4 hours to get there from 35%.

What is going on?

Saturday, December 6, 2008 10:44 PM

All replies

• Nigel Mercier said:

This is turning into nightmare!

I've put a new HD in my WHS, with a clean install. Then reinstalled the software on a PC, and ran a manual backup: after a few hours it was still at 35% so I stopped it.

Tried again overnight,  it failed. 

Started again a few hours ago, first few percent went up reasonably fast. It is currently on 38%, and it's taken about 4 hours to get there from 35%.

What is going on?

How many GBs are you trying to backup?  Are you trying to backup your client by using a wireless connection?
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 11:15 PM
  • I'm having the same type of problem. I'm backing up with a  wired connection backing up about 76GB of data. If i try wireless it just fails after about 2%.Running Vista home premium on the client, but so far after the past week have only been able to get to 53% after about 20 hours or so. Back-up with Vistas built-in program takes about 2 hours saving the backup directly to a shared folder on WHS. Any ideas? This afternoon i tried again, ran up to 53%, then stayed there for the next 2 hours or so. Viewing the progress still shows "determining which clusters have changed" or something to that effect. And if i end the backup it freezes my laptop and i need to reboot. Any Ideas?
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 1:04 AM
  • kariya21 said:

How many GBs are you trying to backup?  Are you trying to backup your client by using a wireless connection?

About 150GB, on a wired connection. 

I have now removed the connector software from the PC, removed it from the list of connected PCs, and deleted all the failed backups.

Where can I download the latest connector software?

[Later] Found the updated connector on the WHS: http://WHS-NAME:55000/

• Edited by Nigel Mercier Sunday, December 7, 2008 12:26 PM Update
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 12:18 PM
  •  
    I've run the troubleshooter, it said (my red):
    The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server

The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server. Make sure you are installing the correct version of the Connector software.

On your home computer, delete the %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server folder if it exists.

Then install the Connector software from the Software shared folder on your home server, rather than from the CD. (Perhaps you have an old CD.) Connect to \\YourServerName\Software\ Home Server Connector Software, and then run Setup.exe.

I'm about to do the bit in red, I'll be back ...

Sunday, December 7, 2008 2:53 PM
  • Nigel Mercier said:

I've run the troubleshooter, it said (my red):
    The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server

The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server. Make sure you are installing the correct version of the Connector software.

On your home computer, delete the %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server folder if it exists.

Then install the Connector software from the Software shared folder on your home server, rather than from the CD. (Perhaps you have an old CD.) Connect to \\YourServerName\Software\ Home Server Connector Software, and then run Setup.exe.

I'm about to do the bit in red, I'll be back ...

There is a known issue regarding the latest update in that regard.  As long as one of the version numbers in the comparison is 6.0.1800.0 and the other is 6.0.1800.24, you're ok (I just forget which one is which :)  ).
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:17 PM
  • I've run "ConnectorTroubleShooter.exe –a" (not "ClientTroubleShooter.exe –a" as shown in the readme file), I get:

Check client Version...

Server Version: 6.0.1800.0
    Client Version: 6.0.1800.24

OK, so I'm going to try the Windows Home Server Toolkit Add-in on the home server and see what happens.

Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:40 PM
  • As a test, I've set the backups to include my C drive as well as my data drive, so another 50% of data to backup (150GB plus 85GB is 235GB).

Previously the backup would start to slow down at around 30% (30% of 150GB is 45GB). With the extra data, the backups now seem to slow down at around 20% completed (20% of 85GB is 47GB). This seems to show that the quantity of data transferred before the slow-down is about the same.

I've also observed a strange phenomenon. Watching the Networking tab of Task Manager, the full-speed backup is a fairly constant ripple of data. Suddenly at the slow-down point there is a few seconds of silence, then wildly erratic data transfer from then on.

Another thing I've noticed. If I log in via RDC, it complains about the certificate on the WHS.
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Nigel, it sounds to me like you have a network issue of some sort. It could be drivers on either your server or your PC, or it could be hardware (including cabling, switches, etc.) Can you tell us a little more about your server?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 10:23 PM
  •  It was all working fine until I put in the new 1TB hard drive (for system and data). I think it is too predicatable to be a hardware problem.

I've since had a thought: at what point does a new HD get formatted? It certainly didn't do a full format when I installed.
    • Edited by Nigel Mercier Monday, December 8, 2008 11:07 AM Update
    Monday, December 8, 2008 10:57 AM
  • Hi Nigel,
    is the server a self built system or an OEM machine?
    If self built, is the mainboard a GigaByte board? Some of those had issues with 1 TB disks (degrading their size to about 30 MByte). Usually such behavior can be fixed with a Bios upgrade.
    Is the power supply good enough and are the disk cables well mounted?
    How current are the drivers for network and storage devices? Are they Windows Server 2003 compatible?

A full format is not performed, since this would take literally hours, so you will only see the added space in the console on the server storage tab.

You can logon locally to your server and check the Event log for error messages and warnings.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 8, 2008 11:24 AM
  • What should I look for in the Event log?
    Friday, December 12, 2008 4:34 PM
  • All what looks yellow or red in System and Application log, as well as failure events in the security log.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:07 PM