Is there a set of procedures for how to install Windows home server on a netowrk that is running SBS2008 server? RRS feed

• Question

• This weekend I tried to install WHS on a SBS2008 network. I guess I made lots of mistakes, but I don't have any documentation for my WHS as it came to me as part of my Microsoft action pack subscription.
    After getting the WHS software installed and the network card drivers working. I proceeded to go straight to the Windows update site and get all available updates. (seemed like a good thing to do).
    Then I discovered that my SBS2008 machine did not see the new server and the client connector CD did not work on my laptop running Windows Vista. The first error I got was that the CD was for a different older version of WHS and that I should go to the public download folder of the SBS server and run setup from their onto my client machine (the laptop).
    So I went to the WHS and told it to join the SBS Doamin so I could see it on the netowrk and see it on the SBS machine.
    Also in the console of the WHS server computer I do not see any computers listed.
    I downloaded the troubleshooting toolkit and ran the diagnostics. It came up with about six error messages.
    So my question is does anyone have an instruction sheet on how to properly configure this system to work in a SBS2008 enviornment. I was mainly hoping to make this machine work as a backup device for my LAN and also thought the media server features sounded interesting as well. I dont want this machine to change my router settings and break my RWW configuration on my SBS network.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:56 PM

Answers

• This weekend I tried to install WHS on a SBS2008 network. I guess I made lots of mistakes, but I don't have any documentation for my WHS as it came to me as part of my Microsoft action pack subscription.
    After getting the WHS software installed and the network card drivers working. I proceeded to go straight to the Windows update site and get all available updates. (seemed like a good thing to do).

Logging into the server desktop is unsupported (although you didn't say you did that, I'm assuming you did).  You should only install updates from the Console (as installing Software, Optional updates can break WHS).

Then I discovered that my SBS2008 machine did not see the new server and the client connector CD did not work on my laptop running Windows Vista. The first error I got was that the CD was for a different older version of WHS and that I should go to the public download folder of the SBS server and run setup from their onto my client machine (the laptop).
    So I went to the WHS and told it to join the SBS Doamin so I could see it on the netowrk and see it on the SBS machine.

While WHS can exist in a domain environment, it cannot be part of a domain.  You'll probably have to do another install to fix that.

Also in the console of the WHS server computer I do not see any computers listed.

You won't until you install the Connector software on a client.

I downloaded the troubleshooting toolkit and ran the diagnostics. It came up with about six error messages.
    So my question is does anyone have an instruction sheet on how to properly configure this system to work in a SBS2008 enviornment.

I don't know of any specific documentation that says that, but as long as you don't add WHS to the domain and use WHS as it's designed, it should work.  You can however find various Technical Briefs on WHS on the WHS support website.

I was mainly hoping to make this machine work as a backup device for my LAN and also thought the media server features sounded interesting as well. I dont want this machine to change my router settings and break my RWW configuration on my SBS network.
    Then make sure Remote Access is disabled in the WHS Console.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:36 PM

All replies

Logging into the server desktop is unsupported (although you didn't say you did that, I'm assuming you did).  You should only install updates from the Console (as installing Software, Optional updates can break WHS).

While WHS can exist in a domain environment, it cannot be part of a domain.  You'll probably have to do another install to fix that.

You won't until you install the Connector software on a client.

So my question is does anyone have an instruction sheet on how to properly configure this system to work in a SBS2008 enviornment.

I don't know of any specific documentation that says that, but as long as you don't add WHS to the domain and use WHS as it's designed, it should work.  You can however find various Technical Briefs on WHS on the WHS support website.

I was mainly hoping to make this machine work as a backup device for my LAN and also thought the media server features sounded interesting as well. I dont want this machine to change my router settings and break my RWW configuration on my SBS network.
    Then make sure Remote Access is disabled in the WHS Console.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Thanks so much for the input. Can you tell me why I should not make this computer part of a domain? Doing so gives me some tools to use that I would not have otherwise. (Like for example connecting to it remotely through my SBS box when I am offsite). Is there a way to change the ports that are used for the various features on the WHS box so I can use my router to access the SBS machine and the WHS machine remotely and indepentaly of each other?
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:59 PM
  • Thanks so much for the input. Can you tell me why I should not make this computer part of a domain?

Because A) it's a violation of the EULA and B) it breaks WHS (it will periodically reboot - every hour if I remember correctly).

Doing so gives me some tools to use that I would not have otherwise.  (Like for example connecting to it remotely through my SBS box when I am offsite).  Is there a way to change the ports that are used for the various features on the WHS box so I can use my router to access the SBS machine and the WHS machine remotely and indepentaly of each other?
    Not that is supported.  WHS uses 80, 443 and 4125 (I assume SBS uses those 3 as well).  Although unsupported, you can try changing ports 80 and 443 to something else in IIS, then including the port number is the website address.  However, I don't know of anyway to change 4125.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Thanks again for the reply. I had no idea it was a violation of the EULA. Too bad. I have been reading lots of articles yesterday about peoiple using it in a sbs enviornment as a client computer backup solution, and I would not have guessed or understood why something like that would be a violation as long as you are the legitimate user of the product in the first place. If its on the LAN its on the LAN??? I guess I better pay more attention to the fine print. :)
    Monday, January 18, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Windows Home Server trivia: The version of Windows Server 2003 that Windows Home Server is based on is the same version that Small Business Server 2003 is based on (Oddly enough "Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server"; you used to be able to buy it... :)). That version requires that it either not be a domain member, or that it be the primary domain controller. And there's specific language in the Windows Home Server EULA that prohibits making it a PDC (which would break Small Business Server anyway).

Windows Home Server works fine with domain-joined client computers, it just can't be a domain member itself.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:10 PM