none
Studying for 70-649 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering if I should go for the 70-649 book and supplement with say technet as needed or is it better to get each of the three books and go through them one at a time for the upgrade exam? Also, has anyone tried the ebooks from O'rielly? Thanks

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:44 PM

Answers

• Best choice is to get the prepbook and build up some virtual enviroment to do some practice. One book should not be the only one source you can use for exam preparation.

Marek

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:24 AM
  • The book for the upgrade exam should have everything in it that you need in order to pass the exam, and will give you some practice scenarios to build in a virtual lab, as well as giving you a free practice test cd at the back. You can read up on anything you are not sure about on technet to give you a better grounding.

You need to bear in mind that the singular TS books are designed for people who haven't already got a good grounding to go forward such as an MCSE. A lot of the stuff in the books you will already know (I've read them - and passed two of the exams, still working towards one) and so a lot of it will just be revision. I find that the test exams are a good indicator of whether or not you will pass. My advice would be to start off with the upgrade book. If there is a part of it you aren't really getting then buy the book for that particular area, or even just top it up with technet.

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 5, MCITP x 3

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please subscribe to my podcast Trancendance Podcast

View my MCP Certifications
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:15 PM

All replies

• Best choice is to get the prepbook and build up some virtual enviroment to do some practice. One book should not be the only one source you can use for exam preparation.

Marek

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:24 AM
  • The book for the upgrade exam should have everything in it that you need in order to pass the exam, and will give you some practice scenarios to build in a virtual lab, as well as giving you a free practice test cd at the back. You can read up on anything you are not sure about on technet to give you a better grounding.

You need to bear in mind that the singular TS books are designed for people who haven't already got a good grounding to go forward such as an MCSE. A lot of the stuff in the books you will already know (I've read them - and passed two of the exams, still working towards one) and so a lot of it will just be revision. I find that the test exams are a good indicator of whether or not you will pass. My advice would be to start off with the upgrade book. If there is a part of it you aren't really getting then buy the book for that particular area, or even just top it up with technet.

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 5, MCITP x 3

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please subscribe to my podcast Trancendance Podcast

View my MCP Certifications
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:15 PM