Backing Up Outlook Personal Data Files RRS feed

• Question

• 1. Even when Outlook is not running, my Outlook file (presumably the one that contains all email, etc) is listed among the folders not backed up. Says "file is in use" as the excuse. Oddly, if I export my personal file folder as a backup file located located in my Documents file, that folder (which does not have a .bak or similar extension) does not get backed up either, and for the same excuse ("in use"), which it obviously isn't. Outlook files are among those that OneCare is set to include in the backups.
    I'm running Xp Pro as a Virtual Machine on a Mac with Leopard.
    2. I back up wirelessly to an Apple Time Capsule drive (located in the Apple router). If I go through all the steps to select the network drive, save the settings, etc., the backup proceeds normally (except for above problem). However, for a subsequent backup, I get the message that the share is not available. So I go through the procedure of again selecting the network drive (the Time Capsule drive), save the settings, start the backup, and then the backup proceeds normally. What should I do to ensure these settings are not, seeminly, lost between backups (or whatever is happening)? But maybe this is really a question for Apple?
    Friday, April 11, 2008 4:32 PM

Answers

• Many thanks. You were absolutely right that I must have another program using these file; in this  case, it was the Yahoo calendar synch program. Once I shut it down (and shut down Outlook, of course), all my Outlook files got backed up fine. Silly of me not to think of that, but it runs so quietly in the background that I never need to pay it much heed. As for the other issue, I guess manually redoing the file location setup each time isn't that much of a hassle in the scheme of things, since I back up the Windows side of my Mac only weekly (Time Machine on the Mac side backs up every hour, and my document files are always synched instantly between the Mac and Windows halves of my computer through Foldershare).
    Friday, April 11, 2008 6:24 PM

All replies

• Part 2 of your problem is likely due to the same or similar issues many have reported regarding backing up to many NAS devices, which the Time Capsule essentially is. The only thing I can suggest doing is to manually connect to the drive before you run backup. There seems to be a problem with logging onto some NAS devices.

For part 1, the only thing I can think is that either your Outlook .pst file is indeed in use due to another application holding it open or because closing Outlook isn't actually closing Outlook on your PC. Do you have ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center installed with a device plugged into the PC when the backup is running? If so, ActiveSync and WMDC actually hold the .pst file open when they are running with a device attached. And, when you perform an export from Outlook to another .pst file, both .pst files are locked and in use until Outlook is completely closed.

So, assuming no mobile devices or PDAs, close Outlook. Now wait about 30 seconds to a minutes. Now do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and select Task Manager. Look at services and you may see outlook.exe listed one or more times. If it is there, and there is no reason for it to appear, wait another minute or so and see if it closes down/ends - if not, end the outlook.exe task  or reboot the PC. If multiple instances of outlook.exe appear, that means it is not closing at all and each time you restart Outlook, it is starting another instance.

-steve

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Many thanks. You were absolutely right that I must have another program using these file; in this  case, it was the Yahoo calendar synch program. Once I shut it down (and shut down Outlook, of course), all my Outlook files got backed up fine. Silly of me not to think of that, but it runs so quietly in the background that I never need to pay it much heed. As for the other issue, I guess manually redoing the file location setup each time isn't that much of a hassle in the scheme of things, since I back up the Windows side of my Mac only weekly (Time Machine on the Mac side backs up every hour, and my document files are always synched instantly between the Mac and Windows halves of my computer through Foldershare).
    Friday, April 11, 2008 6:24 PM
  • Glad that we got half of it sorted. Instead of going through the backup config each time, simply connect to the Share in Windows Explorer shortly before backup begins and see if that resolves the issue.

-steve

Friday, April 11, 2008 7:01 PM
  • That would seem a very logical thing to do, but when I do, I still get the message that the share is unavailable. Very puzzling, but not the end of the world. Since there is at least the awkward workaround to this issue that I can use, it's not as big a deal as the first propblem, which you solved for me nicely.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 7:36 PM
  • As long as you are comfortable with what is certainly an awkward workaround, perhaps the issues we've been seeing with NAS devices and permissions will be resolved in a future update.

Take care,

-steve

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:24 AM