activation RRS feed

• Question

• i purchased liveone online 2007. i did not want to purchase online to renew. i purchased liveone from office supply. i entered my new pin # and it told me that i would be billed. i called support and they told me that when my subscription expired that i would have to uninstall and reinstall the new software and use another live id. i did this but when i entered my pin # it told me that it was already in use. i uninstalled it and reinstalled under my old live id, and now it tells me that i have used  the number on too many pc's. i only have two (2) pc's. i need help to get this matter resolved.

thanks,

charles

Friday, October 17, 2008 6:09 AM

Answers

• I'm not completely clear on the order of events, so let me restate what I think happened.

You installed OneCare and purchased a subscription with a LiveID in 2007. When it was time to renew, since you wanted to renew with a retail copy, you contacted support and canceled the subscription for auto-renewal/automatic billing. You reinstalled OneCare and used a different LiveID to create a new subscription with the retail key.

However, when you entered the retail key, it reported that it was already in use and you have not created a subscription for the new LiveID.

So, you reinstalled once again, but entered your LiveID for the expired subscription and then tried to use the retail key.

I believe that you will need to contact support to get this taken care of, but a few points need to be clarified.

1. Support was wrong when they told you to cancel the subscription if you wanted to renew with a key. All you needed to do was to sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with your subscription LiveID at any time before expiration (meaning your credit card would be charged the full renewal cost on that date) and select the OneCare subscription and click on renew. You would then choose the option to renew with a PIN/Key, which would extend your subscription by 12 months. Depending on how early before expiration you did this, the subscription status may not update in OneCare for up to a week. You did not need to reinstall OneCare, nor did you need to use a different LiveID to create a new subscription.

2. Any time you reinstall OneCare when you already have an active subscription, you can only activate with the same LiveID for your subscription. The key can only be used once to start the subscription. If, when you entered that key for the first time, it reported that the key was in use and you had never used it, it was a duplicate key or a used package that you had received and you should have returned the copy of OneCare to the retailer to get another copy. If you successfully entered the key at any time with your LiveID, you created a subscription and you would need to activate subsequent installations with that same LiveID.

I suggest that you sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with both of your LiveIDs to see if you have an active OneCare subscription shown. If so, you need to activate OneCare with that LiveID.

If you have reinstalled OneCare many times - we're talking dozens of times - you will be blocked from activating as OneCare will see multiple "active" installations on the server and you would have far exceeded the license terms if they were really active. Support can help straighten that out, too.

If you never used the key and you have no active subscription, but activation tells you that the key has been used, please contact support to have the key checked out unless you are still able to get to the retailer to exchange your copy of OneCare.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, October 17, 2008 3:46 PM

All replies

• I'm not completely clear on the order of events, so let me restate what I think happened.

You installed OneCare and purchased a subscription with a LiveID in 2007. When it was time to renew, since you wanted to renew with a retail copy, you contacted support and canceled the subscription for auto-renewal/automatic billing. You reinstalled OneCare and used a different LiveID to create a new subscription with the retail key.

However, when you entered the retail key, it reported that it was already in use and you have not created a subscription for the new LiveID.

So, you reinstalled once again, but entered your LiveID for the expired subscription and then tried to use the retail key.

I believe that you will need to contact support to get this taken care of, but a few points need to be clarified.

1. Support was wrong when they told you to cancel the subscription if you wanted to renew with a key. All you needed to do was to sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with your subscription LiveID at any time before expiration (meaning your credit card would be charged the full renewal cost on that date) and select the OneCare subscription and click on renew. You would then choose the option to renew with a PIN/Key, which would extend your subscription by 12 months. Depending on how early before expiration you did this, the subscription status may not update in OneCare for up to a week. You did not need to reinstall OneCare, nor did you need to use a different LiveID to create a new subscription.

2. Any time you reinstall OneCare when you already have an active subscription, you can only activate with the same LiveID for your subscription. The key can only be used once to start the subscription. If, when you entered that key for the first time, it reported that the key was in use and you had never used it, it was a duplicate key or a used package that you had received and you should have returned the copy of OneCare to the retailer to get another copy. If you successfully entered the key at any time with your LiveID, you created a subscription and you would need to activate subsequent installations with that same LiveID.

I suggest that you sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with both of your LiveIDs to see if you have an active OneCare subscription shown. If so, you need to activate OneCare with that LiveID.

If you have reinstalled OneCare many times - we're talking dozens of times - you will be blocked from activating as OneCare will see multiple "active" installations on the server and you would have far exceeded the license terms if they were really active. Support can help straighten that out, too.

If you never used the key and you have no active subscription, but activation tells you that the key has been used, please contact support to have the key checked out unless you are still able to get to the retailer to exchange your copy of OneCare.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, October 17, 2008 3:46 PM
  • I've had to "reinstall" OneCare/Equipt dozens of times.  One set of installs for failure to update- resolved by going in as adminstrator in command line mode to remove corrupted files that the uninstaller left behind and another set for Office 2007 insisting that it needed to be activated - resolved by removing keys from the registry for Office 2003 left behind by the uninstaller. 

Now Office is locked up again.  Support had me uninstall everything and, lo-and-behold, I can't reinstall because it's been installed too many times!  They couldn't resolve the problem.  How can I get this straight?

I've spent probably 20 hrs on hold for this one product. %$#@!!!!

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:29 PM
  • Unfortunately, I can't tell you how the Equipt activation/installer works, but if it were OneCare complaining about too many activations, that would mean that you've not just reinstalled, but reinstalled to what appeared to the activation servers to be different PCs. If you formatted the PC and gave it a new name, that would cause the activation to see it as a new PC rather than a reinstall and there are limits for activation. Once you encounter that limit, you cannot resolve it unless you have another PC configured as a Hub, that is activated for your subscription LiveID, where you can remove the "ghost" activations from the listed PCs in your Circle. As I said, I can't speak for Equipt and why you'd be prevented from installing, so sadly, that means calling support for Equipt once again. :-(

-steve

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:12 PM
  • Thanks for the info.  billing finally got me a new key, the pain of it is that it took me about 7 weeks of phone tag to get to the right person that could help. 

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Hi everyone! I know you're probably going to think this is a very stupid question but do you have to activate the OneCare service before it expires? I don't have the internet at home and so I can't really subscribe online or update my Onecare software. But also, when I was looking at the activation screen, it asked me whether my product ID was either 12 or 25 characters. I't neither. It's actually 21 characters. What do I do?
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:25 AM
  •  Autobot Lithium wrote:
    Hi everyone! I know you're probably going to think this is a very stupid question but do you have to activate the OneCare service before it expires? I don't have the internet at home and so I can't really subscribe online or update my Onecare software. But also, when I was looking at the activation screen, it asked me whether my product ID was either 12 or 25 characters. I't neither. It's actually 21 characters. What do I do?

When OneCare expires, it will go into reduced functionality mode. You do need to be online to active/subscribe.

The product key is a 25 character key on an orange label inside the box, on the back of the CD tray.

-steve

Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:51 PM