Issue Authorizing after Reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• It has been a few years since my computer desperately needed a reformat. I started one the other day - got my perfect, after 5/6 years, installation disc for Windows XP Professional (SP2). Ran it and got home. I lost the sleeve the disc was in, I bought it from my college's bookstore while I attended school there. Unable to find it after rummaging through the whole house, I sought an alternative to find the Product ID. This might be where the first error occurs. I was able to find a key on the disc that allowed the installation process to progress past the Product Key entry. Everything was going fine.

I realized, after getting the system booted up, that it wasn't "genuine." I went into the process and followed the steps and it kept telling me "Unauthorized Key" and to enter another. Now I might be boned just for the fact that the disc actually didn't contain the Product Key that was needed or it might be the fact that when I ran that Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool that I got this message:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):

-----------------------------------------

Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Status: Blocked PID

Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-V7X7H-8VY68-W7D7M

Windows Product Key Hash: CLsBse60gH1adtpz/74j2YYn9EQ=

Windows Product ID: 76487-012-9869442-22907

Windows Product ID Type: 5

Windows License Type: Retail

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

ID: {CC54F541-4A64-49D4-A446-A238D2ACE865}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A

Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

File Exists: No

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Documents and Settings\Chance\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{CC54F541-4A64-49D4-A446-A238D2ACE865}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-W7D7M</PKey><PID>76487-012-9869442-22907</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1801674531-1757981266-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 0307</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060714000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>E7D53F7701848078</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Licensing Data-->

N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->

BIOS string matches: no

Marker string from BIOS: N/A

Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

N/A

---------------------------------------------------

After researching what "Blocked PID" meant - I concluded that my Key had been flagged as pirated or something else. Now I'm left wondering how I'm being footed a $150+ bill to buy a new copy of windows when I clearly have a legit copy in my hands. 

Help - please and thank you.

Monday, June 13, 2011 5:58 AM

Answers

• "Faldric" wrote in message news:25276875-2d65-455b-8219-b5e5df0d89fd...

It has been a few years since my computer desperately needed a reformat. I started one the other day - got my perfect, after 5/6 years, installation disc for Windows XP Professional (SP2). Ran it and got home. I lost the sleeve the disc was in, I bought it from my college's bookstore while I attended school there. Unable to find it after rummaging through the whole house, I sought an alternative to find the Product ID. This might be where the first error occurs. I was able to find a key on the disc that allowed the installation process to progress past the Product Key entry. Everything was going fine.

I realized, after getting the system booted up, that it wasn't "genuine." I went into the process and followed the steps and it kept telling me "Unauthorized Key" and to enter another. Now I might be boned just for the fact that the disc actually didn't contain the Product Key that was needed or it might be the fact that when I ran that Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool that I got this message:

After researching what "Blocked PID" meant - I concluded that my Key had been flagged as pirated or something else. Now I'm left wondering how I'm being footed a $150+ bill to buy a new copy of windows when I clearly have a legit copy in my hands. 

Since you lost the CD case with *your* Key on  it - where did you get the one you used from?
    The problem is that this Key is not *your*Key - but a generic one, and is in fact the Default Key for an SP3 disk - which cannot be activated.
    Without *your* Key your only option is to purchase a new license for Windows, since in effect the Key is the License.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Faldric Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:48 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 6:34 AM

All replies

• Also, I ran the validation link (www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate) and it prompts me to buy a new key for Windows 7. Stating "The version of Windows you are running is no longer available for purchase" and "Windows has not yet been activated with a genuine product key. Not to worry, we can help with that."

Monday, June 13, 2011 6:07 AM
  • "Faldric" wrote in message news:25276875-2d65-455b-8219-b5e5df0d89fd...

It has been a few years since my computer desperately needed a reformat. I started one the other day - got my perfect, after 5/6 years, installation disc for Windows XP Professional (SP2). Ran it and got home. I lost the sleeve the disc was in, I bought it from my college's bookstore while I attended school there. Unable to find it after rummaging through the whole house, I sought an alternative to find the Product ID. This might be where the first error occurs. I was able to find a key on the disc that allowed the installation process to progress past the Product Key entry. Everything was going fine.

Since you lost the CD case with *your* Key on  it - where did you get the one you used from?
    The problem is that this Key is not *your*Key - but a generic one, and is in fact the Default Key for an SP3 disk - which cannot be activated.
    Without *your* Key your only option is to purchase a new license for Windows, since in effect the Key is the License.

--

• Marked as answer by Faldric Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:48 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 6:34 AM
  • To find the key - all I did was explore the CD while it was in drive - Go into the I386 file - Find the file UNATTEND.txt - and scroll down to Product Key.

Thanks for the response. I'd refrain from the *your* as it comes off as a bit rude. I understand piracy is a common issue and that it is typical for someone to try and pass things off as their own when it's not. However, guilty till proven innocent isn't the approach you should take in response to an inquiry.

That being said - I'll take what you said and use it. A Default Key won't get me anywhere. I'll flip the house again and if that doesn't turn it up - I'll get a student at the local campus to grab me a $5 copy.

Monday, June 13, 2011 6:46 AM
  • "Faldric" wrote in message news:2d1cb25f-6d6c-4c7f-94e7-42b5ec5c2316...

To find the key - all I did was explore the CD while it was in drive - Go into the I386 file - Find the file UNATTEND.txt - and scroll down to Product Key.

Thanks for the response. I'd refrain from the *your* as it comes off as a bit rude. I understand piracy is a common issue and that it is typical for someone to try and pass things off as their own when it's not. However, guilty till proven innocent isn't the approach you should take in response to an inquiry.

That being said - I'll take what you said and use it. A Default Key won't get me anywhere. I'll flip the house again and if that doesn't turn it up - I'll get a student at the local campus to grab me a $5 copy.

Sorry about that - I was trying to make the point that all Keys are personal items, and as such should not be treated lightly - in many cases they are the only Proof of Purchase that you end up with after a few years of reshuffling receipts and disks and/or moving house, and with a Key there are many options - without it there are only two (if you're lucky!)

--

Monday, June 13, 2011 7:18 AM
  • "Faldric" wrote in message news:2d1cb25f-6d6c-4c7f-94e7-42b5ec5c2316...

To find the key - all I did was explore the CD while it was in drive - Go into the I386 file - Find the file UNATTEND.txt - and scroll down to Product Key.

Sorry about that - I was trying to make the point that all Keys are personal items, and as such should not be treated lightly - in many cases they are the only Proof of Purchase that you end up with after a few years of reshuffling receipts and disks and/or moving house, and with a Key there are many options - without it there are only two (if you're lucky!)

--

Monday, June 13, 2011 7:18 AM
  • No offense taken - just tiring to try and figure simple(yet not so simple) things out at times. All because I misplaced a sleeve I've had sitting around for years and years.

By the way: When I see a word with asterisks on both sides, it makes me think it's being said with emphasis or sarcasm. Hard to "hear" a word at times. 

Monday, June 13, 2011 7:57 AM
  • "Faldric" wrote in message news:21790636-b117-4d3b-9184-c32db4c10642...

No offense taken - just tiring to try and figure simple(yet not so simple) things out at times. All because I misplaced a sleeve I've had sitting around for years and years.

By the way: When I see a word with asterisks on both sides, it makes me think it's being said with emphasis or sarcasm. Hard to "hear" a word at times. 

That's one of the problems with forum/newsgroups - attempting to emphasise things can get misinterpreted.

Good Luck, anyhow :)

--

Monday, June 13, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Hello Faldric,

As Noel pointed out, the product key reported by the mgadiag utility is the "default/keyless" installation product key.

As in your installation, when used with Windows XP installation discs at the Gold, SP1 or SP2 level, the mgadiag utility will report "Blocked PID."  When used with Windows XP installation discs at the SP3 level, the mgadiag utility will report "not yet activated."

The solution to you problem is to find the previously used (and presumably Genuine) product key that came with the purchase of the product from the bookstore.  Once found, you should be able to use the Product Key Updater utility to install the Genuine key into this installation:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/product-key, click the Windows XP tab.

If you cannot find that, then your only other alternative for getting a Genuine Windows XP Pro installation would be to purchase a genuine license kit for Windows XP--these are getting to be scarce, so be careful where and from whom you buy so as not to get stuck with a counterfeit copy.  The motherboard reported by the mgadiag utility does support processors and memory counts needed to run W7 satisfactorily, so if no genuine XP licenses can be had, you should be able to run W7.

Monday, June 13, 2011 11:02 AM
  • Here's another question concerning this. Now that we've determined the only fix is to get a new product key...

Will a Windows 7 product key allow me to active my copy of XP as genuine? 

I know it sounds random - but there are no more XP keys available for sale and it seems the only way to obtain a properly licensed key is to purchase Windows 7. I know you state my computer as being capable of running Windows 7 - but I really wasn't wanting to upgrade my OS till I built my new rig. I need every scrap of RAM as is - don't want to sacrifice anymore to an OS.

I know a bit off topic - but the forum listings are daunting and this goes hand-in-hand with finding a solution to my problem.

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:50 AM
  • "Faldric" wrote in message news:6ea66bc1-d99a-451e-a682-578a64c7601d...

Here's another question concerning this. Now that we've determined the only fix is to get a new product key...

I know it sounds random - but there are no more XP keys available for sale and it seems the only way to obtain a properly licensed key is to purchase Windows 7. I know you state my computer as being capable of running Windows 7 - but I really wasn't wanting to upgrade my OS till I built my new rig. I need every scrap of RAM as is - don't want to sacrifice anymore to an OS.

I know a bit off topic - but the forum listings are daunting and this goes hand-in-hand with finding a solution to my problem.

Thanks!

No - Product Keys are specific to a particular Versions and Edition of Windows (and sometimes also to a specific SP level or higher)

Let's get one thing straight at this point there never have been Keys available for sale to the public without accompanying software, as far as Windows is concerned.
    You need to purchase a full Package - in your case of Retail Windows XP. Purchasing just a key pretty much ensures that it's counterfeit.

There are still copies of Retail and OEM XP out there - but it's increasingly difficult to find ones that are 'safe' to purchase. If you do purchase one, then I suggest that you immediately clean-install it without activation (create a small partition for the purpose if necessary), and run an MGADiag report and post it here for confirmation - then at least you'll have reasonable certainty of knowing the situation, as even if it looks genuine to us volunteers, Darin has the tools to check any previous installations using that Key.

--

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:10 AM
  • Hello Faldric,

If you are anticipating building a new computer that will eventually run Windows 7 (unless you drag your feet a lot and Windows 8 is out by then :-)), your best option now would be to buy a full retail license for the 64-bit W7 edition of your choice.

Your current system will support W7 OK, and if you have XP only programs you can implement XP Mode within W7 to accommodate them.

Buying a 64 bit W7 retail license now puts you in a position to carry that license over to the new system whenever you build it, because full retail licenses are permitted to be moved from your old computer to your new computer.  Buying a 64 bit version future-proofs the OS.

Another option would be to buy a systembuilder/OEM license for Windows 7 Professional because the licensing terms permit you to do a downgrade installation of Windows XP Pro.  That helps with the XP licensing but not so much from a practical standpoint, as you still have to jump thru hoops to get the subsequent Windows XP Pro installation activated.  And, you shoot yourself in the foot with licensing on your to-be-built new system because an OEM license can't be moved to your new computer once you build it--it's permanently tied to this current system, the one on which it was first activated.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:37 PM
  • "Dan at IT Associates" wrote in message news:9f10020e-51a6-452b-a6bd-499da2a239f8...

Hello Faldric,

If you are anticipating building a new computer that will eventually run Windows 7 (unless you drag your feet a lot and Windows 8 is out by then :-)), your best option now would be to buy a full retail license for the 64-bit W7 edition of your choice.

Your current system will support W7 OK, and if you have XP only programs you can implement XP Mode within W7 to accommodate them.

Duh? - we haven't (IIRC) established what his current machine is (at least in terms of RAM and graphics, anyhow)?

Don't forget that you need at least Pro for XP Mode to be an option.

--

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Hi Noel,

I based my comments on his mgadiag report, which shows an Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE motherboard, which has the potential to run W7 OK.  If he needs to boost his RAM, DDR2 is just about cheaper than dirt.  And I'm guessing that since he bought a motherboard capable of doing nVidia SLI, he's probably got that going, so his graphics capability should be OK too.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:58 PM
  • "Dan at IT Associates" wrote in message news:c4b73ba4-35dc-4f6c-8bcf-8679665784d2...

Hi Noel,

I based my comments on his mgadiag report, which shows an Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE motherboard, which has the potential to run W7 OK.  If he needs to boost his RAM, DDR2 is just about cheaper than dirt.  And I'm guessing that since he bought a motherboard capable of doing nVidia SLI, he's probably got that going, so his graphics capability should be OK too.

true, but.....
    <g>

--

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:16 PM