Backup Location. RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I first installed Live OneCare I elected to backup to CD/DVD, but I now have an external hard drive I wish to use. I have been into change settings and selected G drive, but when you try to do a backup the page still states CD/DVD and that is where it tries to back up to. How do I change it please?

Cheers Chris.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 2:57 PM

Answers

• Open One Care>Change Settings>Backup>Configure Backup>Change Settings>Select the computer you wish to change the backup location for or select "Backup plan for all PCs" in the left side column. Then under "Your backup plan" and "Where", select "Choose Device" and select "Change Location". In the window that opens you should see your cd/dvd writer and your external drive. Select the external drive and click "OK". One Care should now recognize your external drive as a valid backup destination.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:56 PM

All replies

• Open One Care>Change Settings>Backup>Configure Backup>Change Settings>Select the computer you wish to change the backup location for or select "Backup plan for all PCs" in the left side column. Then under "Your backup plan" and "Where", select "Choose Device" and select "Change Location". In the window that opens you should see your cd/dvd writer and your external drive. Select the external drive and click "OK". One Care should now recognize your external drive as a valid backup destination.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:56 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for reply, but I have done all that and whilst it shows G drive on the configue page when I go to do an actual backup it still wants to do it to the CD/DVD drive!

Chris.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:14 PM
  • Hello Chris, if you haven't already done so try formatting the external drive. You might also try using a USB port which is directly connected to the motherboard, not a satellite USB port. If neither helps you can uninstall One Care, use the cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

then reinstall One Care. If you prefer not to uninstall and reinstall you can contact support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:01 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Just finished formatting the drive and it is plugged directly into motherboard, still no joy so I will try support before I uninstall etc.

Thanks Chris.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:15 PM
  • Chris, if you haven't tried reinstalling OneCare yet, what version are you using? Open OneCare, click Help and About OneCare. If it is 1.6, I think you need to elect to start a new full backup in order for the settings to be able to be changed. If you are still on 1.6 (as many are) make sure you know the LiveID for your subscription (also under Help/About) and uninstall OneCare and install the latest version from http://onecare.live.com, then activate with your LiveID. Doing a reinstall will certainly allow you to start fresh with your backup settings.

If you are 2.0 and have gone the change settings route and saved the changes, but the backup still wants to use the CD/DVD, then I agree that support is the way to go - although a reinstall will allow you to start fresh.

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:26 PM
  • Hi Steve, I'm on 2.0 so I think in the first instance I will try the support route.

Thanks Chris.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:10 PM