none
CPU for custom box RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running my WHS box right now with a P4D 840 3.2Ghz CPU.  System runs ok, but get's a bit hot, and CPU spikes quite a bit during DE migrations.

I'd planned on replacing with a C2D when I completed the build (for heat more than anything) and I'm thinking now's the time.  Originally, it was going to be a e6300, then an e4300 (cache isn't that big an influence for I/O operations), but now I'm looking at the e2160.  I've heard great things on the e2160 for OC ability.  I won't be OCing this CPU; but just the opposite, would like to Undervolt the CPU to reduce heat (heat = noise), while maintaining the same speeds.

I'm just wondering if the even smaller cache of the e2160 is going to hurt me though on performance though, or whether I should look at a higher speed processor.  I'd assume the 1.8 Dual Core would be excellent performance, and more than enough for the box, but not positive.

BTW, I'm running 1.5gb RAM currently, on 12 SATA drives of various sizes.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:26 PM

All replies

• Unless your running alot of media streams I'd suggest the cpu with the lowest wattage that your motherboard will take. I don't think you should be running a server CPU at any settings other than the stock settings.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:57 PM
  •  Bezalel Geretz wrote:
    Unless your running alot of media streams I'd suggest the cpu with the lowest wattage that your motherboard will take. I don't think you should be running a server CPU at any settings other than the stock settings.

I agree, as a general rule of thumb, you don't mess with server hardware systems.  However, with the extensive ability of the C2Ds to both overclock and underclock, I'm not too worried about the small about of undervoltage I'd apply.

In this case, I was more looking for anyone with some real-world performance experience with any of the processors I've mentioned.  I don't mind spending money for a faster CPU if I need it, but the lower the series, the lower the power/heat in the system.

Friday, July 13, 2007 12:08 AM
  • One of my WHS boxes runs on an e6600 and I wouldn't buy a CPU slower than that for anything. The 6600 has more cache too. It might be overkill, for a small WHS box, but if you're planning on messing with it, a little juice to spare can't hurt.

As for overclocking or underclocking, I'm against it as it can often cause odd behaviors. I just let them run as intended.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 12:34 AM
  • I would suggest the slowest core 2 duo you can get with the least amount of cache. E2140.

Less cache and clock = less heat. I think it still has a TDP rating of 65w.

Compared to AMD's BE cpu and E4300 power usage is pretty good.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/print.php?cid=2&id=2304

Oh and a big surface area CPU cooler will help with a large slow fan.

Cheers

DB

p.s. I have a xp 2100+, single core, no performance or heat problems with 10 HDD and 3 x 120mm case fans.

Friday, July 13, 2007 2:53 AM
  • Actually, I would consider (am considering) an AMD Sempron 3600+ rather than any of the C2D line. It's a less power-hungry processor, and performance isn't bad. With the right motherboard, you could have a winner.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 3:20 AM
  • I would agree about AMD cpus, but another 10w and you can get a X2 BE2300 or 2350. Then be ready for WHS2K8 minimum requirements...... dual core and x64......just guessing there by the way.

Maybe an Albatron KI690-AM2, Mini-ITX motherboard to go with that AM2 cpu. hmmm very nice performing small system.

Just need a Mini-ITX case that can handle 4 x HDD, then we can have 4 terabytes in a shoebox (with 4 x 1TB HDD). cooling that would be a problem.

Cheers

DB

Friday, July 13, 2007 4:04 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Actually, I would consider (am considering) an AMD Sempron 3600+ rather than any of the C2D line. It's a less power-hungry processor, and performance isn't bad. With the right motherboard, you could have a winner.

Pfft on AMD! Stick out tongue

I'm a very long term Intel fan and user, and it would be near impossible to get me to switch over.  Mostly for practical reasons:  I know the Intel line and products, and I'm using the same base of motherboards and processors in all my machines with Intel.  Plus, I'm very familiar with the voltage/clocking limits of the C2D processors, and am very comfortable in tweaking these settings to achieve minimal power use and heat generation.

Friday, July 13, 2007 12:27 PM
  • we are working on a new WHS server appliance - the T7-HS (upto 8x USB HDDs) and the T2e-HS (1TB internal) and up to 16x USB HDDs.

these small appliances consume 'tiny' amounts of power - talking here of <20W (TOTAL) for the T7-HS version !!

for 24/7/365 home operation power consumption is pretty key, and then if you can get power RIGHT DOWN, this also opens up new opportunties to the 'location'of the WHS appliance - if it only develops 20W (+external HDDs) compared to >100W for a typical desk top PC - then you can put it in a understairs room, without the worry of it becoming an oven !!

it can be done !!  Smile

Friday, July 13, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Someone who has 8xUSB attached hard drives with loads of data, are leaving themselves open to some VERY slow data transfers while migration is taking place. The congestion on the bus will be massive unless you can build USB host controllers which bypass the bus and access the bridge chips directly.

Colin

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:33 PM
  • we'll have to check out the arc'ture of our internal systems, but trials so far are excellent with 2x, 4x, 6cx and 8x USB2 drives connected, servicing 4-6 PCs, all hitting the system at the same time.....
    Friday, July 13, 2007 5:40 PM
  • Take a look on the new Intel Celeron Processors which normaly can run with passive cooling they are based on the C2D tech but as usual a bit cutted in the features (Cache,FSB,...) but have a very low powerconsumption and they are nicely priced look for the Intel Celeron 4xx series this are the new ones... ....and are still fast enough i think

Or intel just released a mini itx board with celeron Mobile for around 100€ (Ebay) but this board doest have a sata controller but one PCI ;-)
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 8:32 AM