strange NTFS Errors in event viewer only occurs at 12:00am & 12:00pm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having some strange problems with my WHS lately, it  reboots on it's own about every 3 or 4 days at random times. Looked in the event viewer but saw nothing unusual right before this happens however I did come across something puzzling to me. At 12:00am and 12:00pm it logs the following events. They log the same errors about 7-8 times for about 1-3 minutes then stop until the next 12:00 rolls around.

FIRST ERROR

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    Ntfs
    Event Category:    Disk
    Event ID:    55
    Date:        1/15/2010
    Time:        12:00:21 PM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    XXSRV
    Description:
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume DATA.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

FOLLOWED IMMEDIATLEY BY THIS ERROR

Event Type:    Information
    Event Source:    Application Popup
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    26
    Description:
    Application popup: Windows - Corrupt File : The file or directory \System Volume Information\{9c5ceca7-ff78-11de-b65f-005056c00008}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All drives are showing healthy. I have ran chkdsk on the DATA volume several times with no errors.

My questions are:
    1) What happens at 12:00am & 12:00pm to trigger this, I know the backups start at 12:00am but not sure about 12:00pm.
    2) where is the file the second error refers to and what is this file for? I have search my system but cannot fine this file.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill

Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm having some strange problems with my WHS lately, it  reboots on it's own about every 3 or 4 days at random times. Looked in the event viewer but saw nothing unusual right before this happens however I did come across something puzzling to me. At 12:00am and 12:00pm it logs the following events. They log the same errors about 7-8 times for about 1-3 minutes then stop until the next 12:00 rolls around.

FIRST ERROR

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    Ntfs
    Event Category:    Disk
    Event ID:    55
    Description:
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume DATA.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

FOLLOWED IMMEDIATLEY BY THIS ERROR

Event Type:    Information
    Event Source:    Application Popup
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    26
    Description:
    Application popup: Windows - Corrupt File : The file or directory \System Volume Information\{9c5ceca7-ff78-11de-b65f-005056c00008}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All drives are showing healthy. I have ran chkdsk on the DATA volume several times with no errors.

My questions are:
    1) What happens at 12:00am & 12:00pm to trigger this, I know the backups start at 12:00am but not sure about 12:00pm.

No, the backups don't start exactly at midnight (it's a random time in the first half of the backup window).  Shadow Copies (which don't work properly on WHS) run at midnight and noon.

2) where is the file the second error refers to and what is this file for? I have search my system but cannot fine this file.

Shadow Copies are stored in the System Volume Information folder.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill

Did you run chkdsk /r on each drive in the server (or just the D partition)?  If just the D partition, try running it on all drives by following the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:51 AM