Connector will not install with Refresh RRS feed

• Question

• I originally installed the April release of Vail and had no issues with client connector software. I have installed the August refresh and cannot get the connector software to install. My clients are Win 7 x64 machines, so I go to computers>network>otherdevices>myserver and I get an IE page that says I am not connected to the internet. I have access the the shared folders, the Homegroup and remote access, but clients on the LAN cannot access the software download.
    Monday, August 30, 2010 7:31 PM

All replies

• Hve you tried installing the connector software from http://server/connect ?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 30, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Hve you tried installing the connector software from http://server/connect ?

Yes, with the same result. It seems to be a connectivity/firewall issue.
    Monday, August 30, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Yes, with the same result. It seems to be a connectivity/firewall issue.
    Are you using a third-party firewall on any of your computers?  Have you tried temporarily disabling the firewall on both server and client?
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:36 AM
  • No third party firewall, just MS Security Essentials and Windows Firewall on the Client and Windows Firewall on the server. I am wondering about the time issue, since I set the bios time to PST as per the release notes, and have not changed it back yet.
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Since the date on those installation instructions was April 2009??, I opted to leave the BIOS alone. I had no problems with the installation.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"RSFran" wrote in message news:fd3887a3-2819-4b3e-a690-9e9b4003ec72@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

No third party firewall, just MS Security Essentials and Windows Firewall on the Client and Windows Firewall on the server. I am wondering about the time issue, since I set the bios time to PST as per the release notes, and have not changed it back yet.

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:12 PM
  • I was wondering about that, since I installed the April release without changing the time and had no issues.

I will try disabling the firewalls and see what happens, as well as reseting the time.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Hope it works, because I'm obviously no 'spurt. :)

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"RSFran" wrote in message news:7c2eb2bc-3f39-4576-ab78-0c8842777e11@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I was wondering about that, since I installed the April release without changing the time and had no issues.

I will try disabling the firewalls and see what happens, as well as reseting the time.

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Well, I tried resetting the time and disabling the firewalls with no luck. I am now thinking about a fresh install on the server, unless someone has anymore ideas. 
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:09 PM
  • I'm assuming the time zone on both Vail and your client machine are the same. I've never been required to disable firewalls at all.

One more suggestion, and I almost missed it: Did you open IE, type in http://servername/connect and follow the yellow brick road. "Servername" should be the name you gave your Vail server when you set it up. If an older version of the Connectors is on the computer, setup will tell you to remove it.

Pardon me if you've been here before . . . You will be presented with a screen that says "Download the Software" which you should click on. When it asks to run or save, I tell it to run. I've run into many, many problems trying to install the Connector from a saved file.

Hopefully, you haven't done the above and it will solve your problems.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"RSFran" wrote in message news:90d44f3c-c031-438a-878c-fc7444d75d07@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Well, I tried resetting the time and disabling the firewalls with no luck. I am now thinking about a fresh install on the server, unless someone has anymore ideas.

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:51 PM
  • On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 16:51:02 +0000, Nancy Ward wrote:

Hopefully, you haven't done the above and it will solve your problems.

From RSFran's second post in this thread:

Hve you tried installing the connector software from http://server/connect ?

Yes, with the same result. It seems to be a connectivity/firewall issue.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:54 PM
  • When the IE page opens it says I cannot connect to the server and it shows a dialog box to check network connections.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Your description sounds very much like an IP setup problem. Specifically the DNS entry on the network interface is wrong or not working properly.

I assume your clients are able to access the internet OK. If you RDP to the Vail server do you have access to the internet from there?. It sounds as though the server thinks your clients are not on your private network.

Have you manually assigned the ip address to the server or has it been allocated from your DHCP server?. I've had fairly mixed results with manually allocating IP address and DNS entries. Both win 7 and vail seem to get somewhat grumpy at times with manual entries. I now allocate static ip addresses from my DHCP server and all of my networking issue's have gone away.

Dave

• Edited by frogz1 Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:40 PM Typo
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:30 PM
  • I can access the server shares from the clients because they are all in the same Homegroup. Server and clients have internet access and I can access the dashboard and shared folders from a remote internet connection.
    • Edited by RSFran Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:14 PM added info
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:13 PM
  • I know it's probably not even a remote possibility, and you may have already tried it, but did you set up Homegroup before you attempted to set the Connector up? Maybe the Homegroup is interfering and should have been set up after the Connector? Grasping at straws here. When you tried to install the Connector, did it tell you you needed to uninstall the "old" connector?

Further, have you tried updating your router with the latest firmware? My Linksys was the original problem child until I updated the firmware, and now it plays very nicely. Oh, check to be sure both ends of the Cat 5 or 6 cable are securely connected.

Assuming you haven't taken the keyboard, mouse and monitor off the server, have you tried connecting to the Internet from the server itself? Forgive me if you have and I just didn't understand that you've tried that too. If the server itself won't connect to the Internet, at least you will know exactly where the problem lies.

Last, but not least, is the installation on the server the original one, or have you reinstalled at some point? If you haven't reinstalled, that might be an option too.

Yeah, as I said, I'm grasping at straws here, and will most likely be told so, but sometimes help comes from the least expected corner. I've certainly had my share of problems with WHS v1 and on down the line. Most of what I've suggested to you has been suggested to me.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"RSFran" wrote in message news:cb457922-febb-458a-86d2-ff2bc0990190@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I can access the server shares from the clients because they are all in the same Homegroup. Server and clients have internet access and I can access the dashboard and shared folders from a remote internet connection.

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 12:19 AM
  • For the last couple of days I have had an issue with one of the computers going "offline" with Vail. If I do the "server/connect" it won't connect there is a network error and it won't show the screen to download the connector.

I have had "refresh" on this computer for a long time and this has never happened before. If I hadn't launched the Dashboard to look for other computers and things I am working on I would of never noticed it.

I corrected this by rebooting the client PC and when it came back up and I launched Dashboard everything was back to normal.

If this happens again I am going to leave it "offline" over night and see what happens when it is time to back it up, that is whether it does it or not.

Again, this is strange. I haven't loaded anything new on this client or changed anything but in the last two days this has happened.

--
    Don
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 12:48 AM
  • History: Originally setup homeserver version 1, with brand new parts (Celeron CPU, MB, RAM, HDD etc.). I had no significant issues. This ran for about 2 years, then the HDDs started throwing random error codes. I decided to upgrade the HDDs and CPU and install Vail (April release) and all was good. I decided to add a 160gb system HDD and do a clean install of the Vail refresh, now the issues have arrived. The only function I cannot do is the client connector software, as stated before all other functions work.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 12:38 PM
  • Try to install Microsoft .NET Framework 4 in the language off your clients operating system and after that start to install the connector software.

This works for me.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:07 PM
  • Try to install Microsoft .NET Framework 4 in the language off your clients operating system and after that start to install the connector software.

This works for me.

Install where? Client or server? I was under the impression .NET 4 was part of Vail refresh.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Did you install the KB that came with Vail Refresh? File name: Windows 6.1-KB2314472-x64. In the Release Notes, it says:

Installation and Initial Configuration

Issue
    Install QFE KB2314472
    Description
    QFE KB2314472 addresses an issue where saving files to a server shared folder may fail with a time-out or sharing violation error when a large amount of data, typically more than 1TB, is present on the server. After you install the server software, and before you copy any data to the server’s folders, download and install QFE KB2314472.
     To install QFE KB2314472

1.    Download the QFE update file Windows6.1-KB2314472-x64.msu from Microsoft Connect, and then copy the file to the server’s desktop.
    2.    Double-click the file and then follow the installation instructions.
    3.    Restart the server.

Also, since you said the server's supposedly not on the Internet, maybe Vail Refresh didn't set up your network card properly. More straws here, but it's a remote possibility. Here's what the Troubleshooting doc says:

Adding Drivers for Your Network Card
    If you have a network card that is not supported by Windows Server “Vail”, your home server will not have network connectivity after Setup completes and your home computers will not be able to connect to your home server.

At the end of Windows Server “Vail” installation, you are informed if a network-card driver was not automatically installed. If a network-card driver was not installed, you need to manually install it. You can also use Control Panel (click Start, click Run, type Control), Network Connections to check if a network card is installed. If you do not see a network connection associated with the network card in your home server, you need to manually install the proper network-card driver and then restart the server.

To manually install the driver, obtain it from the manufacturer, and then follow their installation instructions.
     Important
    Restart your server after you manually install the network-card driver. The installation of the Windows Server “Vail” Connector software on your home computers may fail if you do not restart your server.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"RSFran" wrote in message news:afce9af8-a244-4dbc-b379-ac4dbd5e9f9d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Try to install Microsoft .NET Framework 4 in the language off your clients operating system and after that start to install the connector software.

This works for me.

Install where? Client or server? I was under the impression .NET 4 was part of Vail refresh.

Nancy Ward
    Friday, September 3, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Well I tried reinstalling Vail Refresh And installing .Net Framework. 4.0 on one client with no luck.

Just to recap:

I have access to shared folders and media player through Home Group.   

I have internet access from the server. (I was able to download Hamachi from their site)

I have remote internet access to the server. 

I am able to stream over the internet.

So my network card is working!

I cannot access the page over the LAN that installs the connector software, same as I stated above.                                      

Monday, September 6, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Same here, history as follows:

- Installed vail - connector works like a charm

- installed vail refresh - connector does not work (all the rest works like in the post above)

- tried to reinstall connector software: ran into error, connector software had to be removed and reinstalled

- uninstalled the connector software using the control panel -> programs and features item

- installed .net 4 for my client computer language version

- tried to connect to the homeserver using alternate method: "Alternately, click Start, click Computer, double-click Network, and then double-click the server name in the Other Devices section."

- no luck

- desperately tried to connect the 'normal' way (https://homeserver/connect) ...

and it worked.

Monday, September 6, 2010 11:12 PM
  •  
    "RSFran" wrote in message
    news:8b151b1e-99ea-4ce3-a170-206576c0a12e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > Well I tried reinstalling Vail Refresh And installing .Net Framework. 4.0
    > on one client with no luck.
    >
    > Just to recap:
    >
    > I have access to shared folders and media player through Home Group.
    >
    > I have internet access from the server. (I was able to download Hamachi
    > from their site)
    >
    > I have remote internet access to the server.
    >
    > I am able to stream over the internet.
    >
    > So my network card is working!
    >
    >
    >
    > I cannot access the page over the LAN that installs the connector
    > software, same as I stated above.
    >
    And I'm all out of suggestions. I've run over everything I can think of.

--
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Monday, September 6, 2010 11:51 PM
  • Just a thought, have you tried "leaving" the Homegroup on this Client/Vail computer and trying it?

I did have a couple of issues early on with Homegroup.

Just a thought.....

--
    Don

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 12:39 AM
  • Thanks, Don, I will try that. 
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 1:31 PM
  • I just saw this in another message, did you check this?

"I'm sure there's more than one cause of this message, but when I ran into it, the issue was that the SSDP service was set to disabled.

Mine was a Win7 machine, but the WHS team did confirm that having this service disabled will cause the connector install to fail.

-timotl "

--
    Don

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Checked SSDP on Client and server and they were set to manual and automatic. I set both to automatic and got the same message:

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:

Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including: Internet connectivity has been lost.The website is temporarily unavailable.The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.There might be a typing error in the address.If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section. For offline users You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages. To view subscribed feeds Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view. To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages) Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view."

Thursday, September 9, 2010 1:17 AM
  •  
    news:7f92fde5-aa97-4672-9f4d-057f4048af22@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > Checked SSDP on Client and server and they were set to manual and
    > automatic. I set both to automatic and got the same message:
    >
    > "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
    >
    Are you, by any chance, typing httpS://NameOfYourServer/connect rather than

I named my server ComputerCare7, so I type http://computercare7/connect. I
    do NOT use the domain address, which is
    httpS://computercare7.homeserver.com. Of course, the capital S is used for
    emphasis, and not used in the URL.
    --
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:13 AM
  •  
    "Nancy Ward" <nlraines@nononohotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:9da34675-4ae8-4a20-affe-b67d8a47d7e9@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    >
    > "RSFran" wrote in message
    > news:7f92fde5-aa97-4672-9f4d-057f4048af22@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    >> Checked SSDP on Client and server and they were set to manual and
    >> automatic. I set both to automatic and got the same message:
    >>
    >> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
    >>
    > Are you, by any chance, typing httpS://NameOfYourServer/connect rather
    > than
    >
    > I named my server ComputerCare7, so I type http://computercare7/connect. I
    > do NOT use the domain address, which is
    > httpS://computercare7.homeserver.com. Of course, the capital S is used for
    > emphasis, and not used in the URL.
    > --
    > Nancy Ward
    > Windows 8 Beta Ferret
    >
    >
    >
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Nancy Ward
    >
    "Of course, the capital S is used for emphasis, and not used in the URL."

S/B Of course, the capital S is used for emphasis, and not capitalized when
    used in the URL.

--
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:44 AM
  • I have tried it several different ways, https, http, clicking on server in network discovery and so on. This was not a problem with WHS v1 or Vail April release. The only thing I can imagine that is wrong is, there is some file or setting that was left from the old connector software causing it to look in the wrong place.
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Success.  I reset my router, it still showed a static IP name of my old server, changed it to the new one, I was then able to connect by going to http://[servername].connect? Double clicking on the server icon under other network devices did not work. Yes, I did not use https and I did use the question mark.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Do you have a "user account" on Vail that matches the "user account" on the Win7 computer?

This is from the release notes for Media -

Issue<o:p></o:p>

The media shared folders are not included in the user�??s libraries on a Windows® 7-based home computer when it is joined to a server that is running Windows Server �??Vail�?�.<o:p></o:p>

Description<o:p></o:p>

After joining a computer that is running Windows 7 to the server, the Windows Server �??Vail�?� media shared folders are included in user's libraries only if the user account on the home computer has been added as a user account on the server.<o:p></o:p>

Solution<o:p></o:p>

Add the user account on the computer that is running Windows 7 to the list of user accounts on Windows Server �??Vail�?�.<o:p></o:p>

--
    Don

Sunday, September 12, 2010 2:36 PM
  •  
    news:a313c8f1-aa96-49b1-9c4b-7adadfc10761@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > Success.  I reset my router, it still showed a static IP name of my old
    > server, changed it to the new one, I was then able to connect by going to
    > http://[servername].connect? Double clicking on the server icon under
    > other network devices did not work. Yes, I did not use https and I did use
    > the question mark.
    >
    Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! I'm so glad you finally got the silly thing to
    work.

Ain't computers fun?
    --
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 3:04 PM