recommendations for an AM2 socket motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• I am considering putting together a WHS system with an AMD X2 processor as it seems that provides great responsiveness and their prices are rock bottom. Here are some of the needs I have identified;

• need to support 4 IDE drives and 4 SATA drives
    • prefer onboard/integrated video
    • prefer it to be less than $125
    • Gigabit Ethernet on motherboard, supporting jumbo frames

I have seen some server motherboards that have great specs but they are generally north of $200 and I am staying under $450 for this system (Antec P182B - $75, PSU - $50, 1GB RAM - $80, CPU - $125, motherboard - $125).

Update 

Here is my final tally for this system, including freight;

Antec P182B case $79 after $50 rebate

ABIT KN9 mobo $80

AMD 64 X2 3600+ $74

Patriot eXtreme Performance 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) $72 after $20 rebate

Seasonic 380HB-F3SLR S12 380W ATX PSU $74

Seagate 320GB hard drive $80

Total $459

Along with my existing drives I will have a 1.3 TB system that can handle some other services running and be responsive e.g. Slimserver

Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:53 AM

Answers

• A few seconds on Newegg.com and I find this motherboard, which appears to have everything except onboard video. That's the cheapest one I can see with 2xPATA (=4 devices), 4xSATA, and gigabit NIC.
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 4:37 AM

All replies

• A few seconds on Newegg.com and I find this motherboard, which appears to have everything except onboard video. That's the cheapest one I can see with 2xPATA (=4 devices), 4xSATA, and gigabit NIC.
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 4:37 AM
  • I am interested to know if anybody is running their WHS without any video at all.
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 5:50 PM
  • For socket AM2 I'd strongly recommend the GIGABYTE GA-M61PM-S2.
    • Onboard Video
    • Gigabit LAN
    • 4 SATA ports
    • Dual Channel / DDR2 800
    • No problems with SATA drivers during install.
    And only $70!

Your requirements/price sound a lot like mine were. If you're interested, here's more info about my system:

http://www.andrewgrant.org/2007/04/06/building-a-windows-home-server-part-1-hardware-choices.html

A.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 5:38 PM
  • Thanks Andrew though that mobo doesn't have the 2 IDE connections I need to have 4 IDE hard drives.

I have ordered the ABIT KN9 as it meet my needs except it doesn't have on board video but I should be able to run the system without any video once it is setup so that will save on power consumption. I also preferred that the KN9 didn't have com or parallel ports.

Friday, April 13, 2007 5:54 PM
  • I would reccomend against putting 2 IDE drives on a single channel. In the event that a single drive fails, you could lose your connection to both drives.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 4:13 AM
  • What about the Asus M2NPV-VM?

Seems to fit all the requirements you state - it is the board I run in my WHS Server.

Regards

Ceri

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:36 AM
  • Hello

i'm using this motherboard (asus M2NPVM) and have no problem.

Currently, i have got 2 sata drives, 2 pata (ide) drives and one pata (ide) DVD writer.

CPU is AMD 4200+ EE

Power consumption is around 60-70W when the computer is idle.

Regards.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:43 PM
  • Could you explain why you see this as a potential issue as I am sure many people have two drives in an IDE connection - thanks
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:19 PM
  • I use it too and second the above.  I had to put the CD in during the install so that the ethernet controller driver could be installed but otherwise it has been solid as a rock.  I love the built in video - less $$ to spend.

Jim

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:48 PM
  •  Kiwi_in_KC wrote:
    Could you explain why you see this as a potential issue as I am sure many people have two drives in an IDE connection - thanks

I will demonstarate this using a typical scenario with 3 drives. Assuming the OS is installed on a single drive on the primary channel and 2 additional drives are on the secondary channel with replication enabled. With this configuration all the data is being stored on the secondary master and secondary slave. If the secondary master fails the server will be unable to communicate with the secondary slave and your data will be unavailable. If you want to test this you could disconnect the power going to the secondary master to simulate a failure, WHS will detect this a 2 drives failing.

Almost all NAS devices use only 1 drive per channel. if there is need for additional drives most will use an additional controller (like a Promise Ultra).

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 5:56 PM
  •  Bezalel Geretz wrote:

Kiwi_in_KC wrote:
    Could you explain why you see this as a potential issue as I am sure many people have two drives in an IDE connection - thanks

I will demonstarate this using a typical scenario with 3 drives. Assuming the OS is installed on a single drive on the primary channel and 2 additional drives are on the secondary channel with replication enabled. With this configuration all the data is being stored on the secondary master and secondary slave. If the secondary master fails the server will be unable to communicate with the secondary slave and your data will be unavailable. If you want to test this you could disconnect the power going to the secondary master to simulate a failure, WHS will detect this a 2 drives failing.

Almost all NAS devices use only 1 drive per channel. if there is need for additional drives most will use an additional controller (like a Promise Ultra).

I don't agree that failure of one hard drive on the same IDE port will show that both hard drives have failed.

Friday, April 20, 2007 2:48 PM