Possibly a new Add-In for TOD Access control to Shares RRS feed

• Question

• Here's an idea for people that create Add-Ins. I have no programming abilities, so I don't know if it is even possible to do with an Add-In, but here you go.

I have a WHS setup on which I keep most of our movies and the use an old XBox running XBMC to watch the movies. It works very well. What I have run into, is that our daughter has decided that it is a good idea to wake up in the middle of the night, go out to the living room and watch movies on the Xbox while everyone is sleeping. She makes sure that she keeps the volume down, so to not wake us.

If there was an Add-In that could control the access to shares, based on time of day and the Users permissions. If this could be done, then if the XBMC account attempts to log into the shares after hours, it gets refused access.
    I know that this can be done on some servers through their OS.

Thanks,
    Ted
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 3:55 PM

All replies

•        Hello everyone,

I have a WHS setup on which I keep most of our movies and the use an old XBox running XBMC to watch the movies. It works very well. What I have run into, is that our daughter has decided that it is a good idea to wake up in the middle of the night, go out to the living room and watch movies on the Xbox while everyone is sleeping. She makes sure that she keeps the volume down, so to not wake us. Is there anyway to control the login of a User account, based on time of day? I can do it on a computer, but with the Xbox, I think that I will have to do something like that on the WHS so if the XBMC account attempts to log into the shares after hours, it gets refused access. Can anyone think of a way to do this?
    Thanks!
    Ted
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 8:20 PM
  • No, Windows Home Server has no parental controls or Active Directory-like access limitation available. If you feel strongly that this is a feature that Windows Home Server should have, you may want to make a product suggestion on Connect.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 6:21 AM
  • Hi,
    I could imagine two workarounds:
    Send your WHS to sleep over night (with a tool like the Lights Out add in possible).
    Disconnect/Disable the network connection either of your home server (could be done as a scheduled task using the netsh command) or the XBox.
    Be aware, if the server is off or disconnected, you may have to rearrange the backup window to a time, which better fits.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 8:03 PM
  • You could potentially restrict the ability to log in for a particular user using the net user command, but it's unsupported and may have unexpected results in some areas for any user you configure that way.

Monday, March 9, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Thanks for that Ken. While it maybe unsupported and have enexpected results, I figure that if you don't try it, then that maybe an opportunity missed. I didn't think of the Net command, but I should of, as it is, I have all my home PCs running a batch file daily that just has "net time \\whs /set /y" in it so they all stay in time with each other. (Plus I don't have to try and set my WHS up to be a NTP server as well.)
     If I run a batch file each morning with the Net User /times: and set the to and from, this might work. I will give it a try.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Accually, looking at this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771865.aspx, if it works the same on WHS, I am guessing that I wouldn't have to run it daily. Would I have to rerun it after a reboot or does the changes a command like this has, survive a reboot? 
    Monday, March 9, 2009 2:50 PM
  • It's a persistent setting.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 5:45 PM
  • Because of the way Drive Extender manages shares... using regular Win32 share and security API’s to change permissions is not supported and could lead to... badness.

Instead there is an API we expose through the Windows Home Server SDK (unfortunately it’s not yet documented on MSDN :( ) which allows you to get and set permissions on individual shares... using this API (which MVP Sam Wood has talked a bit about)... you (or a developer) could craft a background service or other mechanism that at pre-determined times changes specific permissions to altered states.

One warning I will give... this mechanism would only be effective if she is turning on the xbox at 3am and establishing a new/fresh connection to the server... instead of using an existing one that existed when the permission previously existed.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Olaf,
    That is a good thing to know, but in my case, I would be shutting it down during times that other members of the household need to access it. Is there anything that I might be able to put on the network to "intercept" packets from the Xbox? Worse case, we may just start unplugging the ethernet cable from the back of the Xbox when it is not in use.
    Thanks,
    Ted 
    Monday, March 9, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Hi Ted,
    unplugging the cable from the back of the XBox is too obvious - children tend to learn quickly ;-)
    Unplug it on the switch/router, if necessary.
    Some routers also may have capabilities to block certain devices time based and the XBox 360 has some parental controls, which might be helpful as well. (I have no such device, so I cant go into details here.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 9, 2009 9:23 PM
  • One thing you can look into is the functionality of your router.  My router has the capabilty of blocking MAC and IP addresses at specific times.  I use this to cut off internet for the kids at specific times.  If you router supports this you may be able to block the xbox only at certian times.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 1:35 AM
  • Thanks Stu, but in my case the problem is them accessing content within my network, and my router will only isolate them from the outside.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Olaf,

Isn't that the truth! For a while, the Xbox is too high for her to reach. As for at the switch, that is nesseled down in the basement and if I forget to do it, my wife would not be too happy.

As for parental controls, I an using an original Xbox with Xbox Media Center on it. The budget does not allow us to get the 360 and we are not big gamers, so until I can get one REAL cheap, we will be making due with the XBox1 and XBMC. As a Media extender, it works great! (Plus it only cost me $30CAD)

In regards to the router, I don't think that it can knock an internal IP off the network, just prevent it from talking to the outside world. (I am running an Astarto Security Gateway between us and the outside world.) I wonder if some of the flavors of firmware for the Linksys router I have will do that. (I have only been using it as a wireless AP for my network after getting ASG up and running.) 

Thanks for the ideas,

Ted 

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:37 AM