none
I've used "Backup and Restore" on Win 10 Pro and it doesn't even make an image.

Question

• I have external WD 2t portable hard drive having formatted it, used diskpart with it, and used chkdsk on it. Everything about the drive seems to be satisfactory.  I've used WD's Data LifeGuard on it:  Checked it for errors and wrote zeros to it.   All indications are the the drive is viable.  Yet when I try "Backup and Restore" with it, that software fails to produce a image on the portable hard drive. 

My Win 10 Pro is no longer created atop Win 7.   Mine is a stand-alone sytem  from Microsoft.  All I needed to do was to download the operating system to a USB stick and upload the system to the computer.  It does seem that when I transformed Win 7 initially to Win 10 Pro the "Backup and Restore" software DID produce an image on an internal hard drive.  Since that change to a stand-alone operating system, producing an image to an internal hard drive does not work.   I do have a key for the operating system. 

The file system for all drives is NTFS.  Is there something about "Backup and Restore" that I don't know?  I know to reformat (erase) the selected drive for imaging before I use it.  The software always appears to be creating an image on a selected hard drive and then after some time issues an error message which indicates the image creation failed.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx.

Addendum:  When I downloaded the inital Win 10 at the end of July '16, the "Backup and Restore" seemed functional.  When I went to the stand-alone Win 10 operating system last month(?),  I was able to create a viable image on an internal drive which I used to "restore" the operating system on a new WD internal hard drive.  After that event, I was and am unable to create an image on any hard drive, internal or external.   After attempting to create a backup image, I receive the following message:   "There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set.  Details:  The specified backup disk cannot be found."  The message was accompanied by the following error code: 0x807800c5.   Thanks for your help.

• Moved by Just KarlModerator Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:38 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    • Edited by kf6gub Friday, February 3, 2017 8:01 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 4:39 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 10 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:38 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The TechNet Sandbox forum is designed for users to try out the new forums functionality. Please be respectful of others, and do not expect replies to questions asked here.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:35 PM
  • Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 10 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:38 PM
  • Hey, Karl, it is a little difficult to figure what forums are appropriate for what questions.  Question to you:  Have I been disrespectful of others?  I already know the answer.   I don't get your point on that issue.  Where does one go with questions along the lines of what I have?  i appreciate any help I receive.  Thank you for your response.
    Friday, February 3, 2017 6:28 PM
  • I think I've asked a similar question on the Win 10 forum.  I think I was alerted to come here.  Not sure.  I really don't think anyone has an answer that would work for me.  
    Friday, February 3, 2017 6:31 PM
  • Hey, Karl, it is a little difficult to figure what forums are appropriate for what questions.  Question to you:  Have I been disrespectful of others?  I already know the answer.   I don't get your point on that issue.  Where does one go with questions along the lines of what I have?  i appreciate any help I receive.  Thank you for your response.

Hello,

I don't mean to suggest that you have been disrespectful. I'm quoting the sticky post "TechNet Sandbox forum - Read before Posting" which appears at the top of the TechNet Sandbox forum.

I will endeavor to find a better way to say that though.

Karl

Friday, February 3, 2017 7:48 PM
  • I think I've asked a similar question on the Win 10 forum.  I think I was alerted to come here.  Not sure.  I really don't think anyone has an answer that would work for me.  

Hello,

If you've asked in the Microsoft Community forums, I'd ask in one of the Windows 10 IT Pro forums.

Karl

Friday, February 3, 2017 7:51 PM