Beta 2 free subscription, when does it really end? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I've been Beta testing version two of OneCare for some time - the last few releases have been a lot more stable.

I got an email telling me that the subscription is due to run out in December, and gives me a link to a discounted purchase for being a beta tester.

But on OneCare itself it tells me I have 11th August 2008 left on the subscription.  Can someone tell me which is correct please?

I do not want to buy a licence in December to go and find out I could've used it until August for free and buy one then.

Thanks

Russ

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:00 PM

Answers

• The beta environment will stop giving you updates no later than early in 2008 and OneCare will go red. The information sent along with your beta activation key did mention that the service could be terminated at any time as it was a beta.

-steve

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:28 AM

All replies

• Russ,

I had the exact same thoughts as you on this issue, as my beta version indicated an 8/10/2008 expiration.  The email we recently received certainly does not address this issue.

Here's my logic/reasoning on the matter:  When we installed the beta and used the activation code they provided, it created this expiration date, as one would expect with a non-beta version.  I believe this date was simply one of the beta test elements and not a reward for testing the beta software.  I believe this to be the case since the most recent email we received indicated support for the beta would end soon.

Like you, I was hoping to get until August to have to pay for the service, but at $20/year compared to what the other services charge, I went ahead and spent the money for it.

I am still hoping for confirmation on this issue, just to know.

Dan

Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:12 AM
  • The beta environment will stop giving you updates no later than early in 2008 and OneCare will go red. The information sent along with your beta activation key did mention that the service could be terminated at any time as it was a beta.

-steve

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:28 AM
  • Thanks...  Just wanted to be sure before I paid any money, that was all really.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 2:59 PM
  •  J Russ wrote:

Hi,

I've been Beta testing version two of OneCare for some time - the last few releases have been a lot more stable.

I got an email telling me that the subscription is due to run out in December, and gives me a link to a discounted purchase for being a beta tester.

But on OneCare itself it tells me I have 11th August 2008 left on the subscription.  Can someone tell me which is correct please?

I do not want to buy a licence in December to go and find out I could've used it until August for free and buy one then.

Thanks

Russ

I also recived this e-mail but could not take advantage of the offer. When I e-mailed Microsoft they said because I had a paid subscription I was not eligible for the 19.95 subscription.

My current subscription expires 2/2008. I joined the 2.0 beta in July.

Sorta confused here....

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:45 AM
  • The special offer was for a new subscription only. There was no provision to extend an existing subscription at a discount.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 2:51 AM