none
Losing tag identification when publishing to WordPress

Question

• When I "post post draft and edit online" all my tag identifiers are lost in the WordPress 2.9.2 editor. ie. "<p>" becomes simply "p".

Been using WLW for about a year and never had this problem previously. Recently upgrade to WP 2.9.2.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 3:16 PM

Answers

• This is what I got back from Bluehost 1.5 wks ago (sorry for the delay in posting):

We apologize for the broken libxml2 package that is currently installed
    on the server.  Due to an older version being compiled into the PHP
    environment, the module will cause all "<" and ">" signs stripped from
    the HTML code in wordpress, moodle and a couple other programs.
    We are currently attempting to repair this by updating the php
    environment to the newer version 2.7.3 which will stop the "<" and ">"
    signs from being stripped from your code.

This Update will be taking place during the week and we hope to have all
    problematic servers repaired in that time.

We ask for your patience with this fix and we sincerely apologize for
    any inconvenience.

They fixed whatever and I had Livewriter back up and working by the end of the week - hooray!
    • Proposed as answer by AaronBre Friday, March 19, 2010 7:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Courtney Friday, March 19, 2010 8:03 PM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 4:29 PM

All replies

• So when you post using Windows Live Writer it's fine- the problem happens when you edit the same post with the online Wordpress editor?

Sounds like Wordpress not Windows Live Writer. Wordpress has an option optimize XHTML automatically... try turning that function off.

Just trying to help...

Thanks,
    L. Henry Jr.
    http://www.lehsys.com

Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:50 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion but where do I find the setting re "Optimize XHTML"? Is this a setting that was changed when I upgraded to 2.9.2?

Jim Co.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:20 PM
  • It could have changed, but it's been in Wordpress for a while...
    Login to Wordpress>>Settings>> writing

It should be the 3rd option from the top... in the current version.

Hope this helps.

Later,
    Larry
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:50 PM
  • Larry,

Thanks.

Now called "WordPress should correct invalidly nested XHTML automatically", it was already turned off.

But agree the problem is most likely at the WordPress side. Don't know that I changed anything recently other than to upgrade to 2.9.2.

I have WLW installed on three PC's and the same problem occurs from all three. Basically when I click on "File | Post Draft and Edit Online", all the tagging brackets (<,>) disappear from the HTML, leaving behind the tag contents.

???

Jim Co.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 4:08 AM

• I have WLW installed on three PC's and the same problem occurs from all three. Basically when I click on "File | Post Draft and Edit Online", all the tagging brackets (<,>) disappear from the HTML, leaving behind the tag contents.
    I'm getting this too.

I have four different WP blogs - happens to all of them. Some were upgraded to 2.9.2 and some weren't, but I'm getting the problem on all of them, so I don't think it's because of the upgrade.

I can post fine to my wordpress.com blogs with LiveWriter, but get this same problem with different blog clients.

I feel like it's with wordpress too - but can't get anyone to help me over there either!! It is such a huge pain to have to publish via WP-admin new post thing! I want my LiveWriter to work again!!
    Monday, March 01, 2010 12:32 PM
  • Hey guys, the problem seems to be with LibXML2, which is a library used by the PHP programming language. Wordpress uses PHP and therefore is affected by this problem.

Luckily there's a solution! Someone put together a Wordpress plugin that you can install to fix this problem. You can download it here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/libxml2-fix/. Or just go into your Wordpress dashboard, go to Plugins > Add New and then search for "LibXML2" and choose "Install".

Hopefully this fixes your issue!
    Windows Live Writer Developer
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:16 AM
  • Hey guys, the problem seems to be with LibXML2, which is a library used by the PHP programming language. Wordpress uses PHP and therefore is affected by this problem.

Luckily there's a solution! Someone put together a Wordpress plugin that you can install to fix this problem. You can download it here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/libxml2-fix/ . Or just go into your Wordpress dashboard, go to Plugins > Add New and then search for "LibXML2" and choose "Install".

Hopefully this fixes your issue!

this didn't work for me.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Ah, sorry about that. This same exact issue happened about a year ago, so that plugin I sent you to was also 1 year old. It seems that the same exact problem has occurred again though.

I think this is related to a recent upgrade PHP upgrade by your webhost. Can someone please let me know which version of PHP you're running?

You can figure out what version of PHP you're running by pasting the following code into a file named "version.php":

<?php phpinfo() ?>

Then put that file on your website and access it via a URL (e.g. http://www.mywebsite.com/version.php) and you'll see your version number.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 4:54 PM
  • Update:

1. The plug-in did not work.

2. Called my hosting provider; I am using a PHP version later than 5.3. (That version.php file trick mentioned above did not work for me, but then I am not a php programmer; even without it I get an error code when trying the URL)

???

Would really like to get back to using WLW - up until now it had been a great help.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 7:01 PM
  • More information

I just attempted to send a test post from ecto, a Mac blog editor for which I have a trial version, and when I submitted to publish, it popped up a "Comparison Tool" window pointing out that there was a difference between the "local" and "server" version of the post. It then showed the post but with the <,>'s missing from the "p" and "/p" tags.

So the problem is somehow on the hosting side.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 8:42 PM
  • User boomer4d found an answer:

User on the Bluehost forums posted a work around that does work. Copy and paste and link to thread follow:

Intially I tried the Wordpress Plugin LibXML2 Fix, but it did not work.

To get it to work, I had to edit the plugin itself.To do this I had to modify the file libxml2-fix/libxml2-fix.php

Here is what I did:

I changed The first Line of the IF Statement

LIBXML_DOTTED_VERSION == '2.6.27'

To:

LIBXML_DOTTED_VERSION == '2.6.26'

I am assuming this first line needs to point to the current version of the library file bluehost is using. Per jsimcox this is 2.6.26

I tried this on a rolled back version of Wordpress, 2.7 and also in 2.9.2 and I was able to see my posts submitted from Window live writer correctly each time.

http://www.bluehostforums.com/showthread.php?t=19838&page=2

Thanks to the individual that posted the fix and those that helped here!

Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:18 AM
  • Yes, this worked for me.

Thanks to all for their diligence on resolving this.

Jim Co.
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 11:36 AM
  • After reporting the bug as fixed above, i went away for the day and recalled that, when the plug-in failed a few days ago, I had deactivated the plug-in since it had no effect.

When I came home this evening, I edited the LIBXML2 plug-in file back to its original content (changed the .26 back to .27) and then did a test post. It worked.

Seems like BlueHost has made a fix overnight such that the LIBXML2 situation is working properly now, independent of any changes by account users or the LIBXML2 plug-in.

Jim Co.
    Friday, March 05, 2010 12:12 AM
  • This is what I got back from Bluehost 1.5 wks ago (sorry for the delay in posting):

We apologize for the broken libxml2 package that is currently installed
    on the server.  Due to an older version being compiled into the PHP
    environment, the module will cause all "<" and ">" signs stripped from
    the HTML code in wordpress, moodle and a couple other programs.
    We are currently attempting to repair this by updating the php
    environment to the newer version 2.7.3 which will stop the "<" and ">"
    signs from being stripped from your code.

This Update will be taking place during the week and we hope to have all
    problematic servers repaired in that time.

We ask for your patience with this fix and we sincerely apologize for
    any inconvenience.

They fixed whatever and I had Livewriter back up and working by the end of the week - hooray!
    • Proposed as answer by AaronBre Friday, March 19, 2010 7:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Courtney Friday, March 19, 2010 8:03 PM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 4:29 PM