Cannot install Windows Home Server - viaide.sys missing during install RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get Windows Home Server installed but it stops after it's first reboot with the message "the file viaide.sys could not be found", press any key to continue after which the system reboots. This PC previously ran Windows Vista from which I started the installation. I already tried to:
    - Remove second hard drive (both are SATA drives)
    - Install it on another (older) hard drive
    - Removed the DVD writer
    Not being sure it would make a difference but I don't know what could help. I'm still not able to get past that message and have no idea on what I could try next.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated! (FYI, I have a demo version of WHS which I ordered previously as well as a downloaded version, both share same problem)

Thanks!

Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    can you adjust the SATA controller mode in Bios to run in IDE (ATA/PATA) compatible mode?
    If this does not solve the issue, you may have to provide the mass storage controller drivers after that reboot during the time, on which on bottom of the classic setup screen the message Press F6 to load additional mass storage drivers is shown.
    Be aware, that these drivers must be extracted, compatible with Windows Server 2003 (or sometimes Windows XP works as well) and need to be on a floppy drive.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:26 PM
  • I'm not surprised the original recovery CD worked; it has all the required drivers already. But the Windows Home Server installation media doesn't contain every driver for every piece of hardware that might ever be used, so you're struggling.

You don't say what the specific model the source computer was, but in general you'll probably have to go to the Fujitsu-Siemens web site to find a set of drivers for it. There isn't much that we will be able to do for you at a distance; even if we knew exactly what your hardware is like, you're still the one that is going to have to install on it.

Have you considered the possibility of buying a server from e.g. HP, instead of trying to build your own?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    can you adjust the SATA controller mode in Bios to run in IDE (ATA/PATA) compatible mode?
    If this does not solve the issue, you may have to provide the mass storage controller drivers after that reboot during the time, on which on bottom of the classic setup screen the message Press F6 to load additional mass storage drivers is shown.
    Be aware, that these drivers must be extracted, compatible with Windows Server 2003 (or sometimes Windows XP works as well) and need to be on a floppy drive.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Dear Olaf,
    Thanks for your prompt reply, I'll try your suggestions immediately!
    I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks,
    Yves
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. I tried the following:
    - Onboard IDE Operate Mode = Enhanced Mode + Enhanced Mode Support On S-ATA+P-ATA (same error - viaide.sys)
    - Onboard IDE Operate Mode = Enhanced Mode + Enhanced Mode Support On P-ATA (same error - viaide.sys)
    - Onboard IDE Operate Mode = Compatible Mode + Combined Mode Option = P-ATA Only (couldn't find the drive during install)

I'm afraid I would not know how to load those additional mass storage drivers. Where do you get these from, how to extract?

Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Yves
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:54 PM
  • I'm trying to get Windows Home Server installed but it stops after it's first reboot with the message "the file viaide.sys could not be found", press any key to continue after which the system reboots. This PC previously ran Windows Vista from which I started the installation. I already tried to:
    - Remove second hard drive (both are SATA drives)
    - Install it on another (older) hard drive
    - Removed the DVD writer
    Not being sure it would make a difference but I don't know what could help. I'm still not able to get past that message and have no idea on what I could try next.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated! (FYI, I have a demo version of WHS which I ordered previously as well as a downloaded version, both share same problem)

Thanks!

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on the hard drive you're trying to install WHS on?  You say you removed the DVD writer, did you replace it with a different DVD drive (or just re-connect the same one)?
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:20 PM
  • No I didn't try the checkdsk /r yet. Not sure how I can get into a "DOS" mode for running it. Regarding the DVD, it's still removed but I'm using a DVD-reader to perform the installation.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Just tried the chkdsk /r but it didn't work. Too bad. Any other ideas?
    Thanks!
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 11:36 PM
  • Can you tell us more about the hardware you're trying to install on?
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Just tried the chkdsk /r but it didn't work. Too bad. Any other ideas?
    Thanks!
    What do you mean it didn't work?  Did you pull the drive from the server, connect it to a client, and run it from there?  If so, did you get an error message (and, if so, what did it say)?
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:52 AM
  • No I didn't try the checkdsk /r yet. Not sure how I can get into a "DOS" mode for running it. Regarding the DVD, it's still removed but I'm using a DVD-reader to perform the installation.
    Can you please clarify the part "Regarding the DVD, it's still removed"?  Do you have 2 different DVD drives and have tried them both?  If not, you should try a different DVD drive.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:53 AM
  • Hardware (mainly original components of a Fujitsu Siemens computer):
    - Intel P4 3.20GHz
    - Memory = 1GB
    - HD = Samsung SP1614C (160GB) - Serial ATA
    - Had another HD in there being western digital (1TB) but I fully disconnected this one to avoid too many components
    - Asus motherboard
    - DVD rom
    - DVD RW
    Not sure whether more specifics are required

FYI, I again ran the recovery CD which was included when I bought the PC (about 3-4 years back) and this installed perfectly. Ran again WHS and stopped again at same point.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 10:12 PM
  • As shown in the other post, I have 2 drives being a DVD-rom and DVD-RW. I only had the ROM hooked up and now I'm trying with the RW. Not expecting a big difference but I can always give it a try
    Monday, January 18, 2010 10:34 PM
  • I'm not surprised the original recovery CD worked; it has all the required drivers already. But the Windows Home Server installation media doesn't contain every driver for every piece of hardware that might ever be used, so you're struggling.

You don't say what the specific model the source computer was, but in general you'll probably have to go to the Fujitsu-Siemens web site to find a set of drivers for it. There isn't much that we will be able to do for you at a distance; even if we knew exactly what your hardware is like, you're still the one that is going to have to install on it.

Have you considered the possibility of buying a server from e.g. HP, instead of trying to build your own?
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:53 AM
  • Although I can't say I'm excited about the outcome, I must admit buying a new one would probably be the easiest and pragmatic thing to do... ;-) I just wanted to testdrive it first before I would actually buy it which is not possible as such. I'll spend a couple of hours more on it and then decide on next steps. I already removed several cards in there such as video cards and will try again.

In any case, many thanks for all suggestions made already, I might get back soon with a solution or other questions when running WHS on a new server. ;-)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:21 PM